Safelite ending their wholesale glass business.

Safelite has a division called Service Auto Glass that sells windshields, auto glass and supplies to independent glass shops and installers. Looks like they are closing that down saying it competes too much with their own glass replacement service. Wonder it that means higher prices on windshield replacements. I've only bought 2 windshields from them because their prices where higher than my other source.

Last edited:

Safelite has a division called Service Auto Glass that sells windshields, auto glass and supplies to independent glass shops and installers. Looks like they are closing that down saying it competes too much with their own glass replacement service. Wonder it that means high prices on windshield replacements. I've only bought 2 windshields from them because their prices where higher than my other source.
I purchased a windshield from Safelite and it was not a pleasant experience. The install was fine-but several unnecessary calls after because they are so poorly organized.NEVER AGAIN. SInce everybody sources their glass from India or China mostly, it doesn't matter who you use as long as the Installer is competent.

kinda reminds me how Samsung makes glass for Apple and other companies that compete directly with their phones. is Safelite the only game in town when it comes to wholesale glass? Someone will fill the void

kinda reminds me how Samsung makes glass for Apple and other companies that compete directly with their phones. is Safelite the only game in town when it comes to wholesale glass? Someone will fill the void

I think Fuyao is doing just that. As for Apple I thought Corning was their supplier with their Gorilla Glass ™️

I think Fuyao is doing just that. As for Apple I thought Corning was their supplier with their Gorilla Glass ™️
oops maybe i am wrong on the glass, but the screens for sure are made by samsung for apple and a host of other phone makers.

A guy at work had his windshield replaced last month by safelite. Never again he says! Clarity of the glass is poor.

If I need a windshield I will do what it takes to find a place that uses PPG glass.

My experience with their glass was that it was poor quality. This was long ago, but it doesn’t sound like it has gotten any better.

oops maybe i am wrong on the glass, but the screens for sure are made by samsung for apple and a host of other phone makers.

you’re right, I’m confusing the actual touchscreen with the glass. That’s changing from what I’ve heard. Apple took a huge stake in Japan Display or JDI which was a major supplier in the past.

A guy at work had his windshield replaced last month by safelite. Never again he says! Clarity of the glass is poor.

If I need a windshield I will do what it takes to find a place that uses PPG glass.

PPG may not be what you think anymore. LKQ bought them as I recall

That’s the problem with companies. There has been a whole lot of merger and acquisition and consolidation going on. Suddenly your favorite brand changes.

I worked for safelite 25 years ago, in their wholesale warehouse. Yes their branded glass made in the USA was by far the worst available at the time. Not only was it distorted, but it was also brittle. I've seen new windshields break by themselves, just sitting, because they had internal stress from poor QC manufacturing,

They pay their installers by the job. it's piecework. 25+ years ago an installer at safelite could make $400-$500 a day if he cut corners, did as little prep as possible and didn't care about the warranty call-backs. It's probably still like that today.

The auto glass business is full of hacks and low-lifes. It's difficult to find anyone who does a good job and uses quality materials because it's not cost effective or profitable.

The safelite windshield in my old Impala has done well so far. Everyone at my local site was very helpful and organized. I found a $40 on their website while they were installing the windshield which they let me use.

Regarding satisfaction with windshield replacements.

Attachments

• agrr_survey.PNG
    agrr_survey.PNG
    244.8 KB · Views: 54
My truck had its glass replaced by Safelite. Former area manager car at Enterprise. I worked at enterprise when I was in college and keep in touch with a colleague who is now a fleet manager when we need to buy a specific car will delete specific units that meet my needs and then I can buy them through the car sales division. Mine had a small chip in the glass that was sealed I begged them to just leave the factory glass in because I doubt you could see a sealed chip but of course safelite had done their work and the windshield leaks slightly if I use a pressure washer on it.

I had an "old" made in England PPG windshield installed in the XJ from Safelite, really good piece. Guy who installed it was an older guy who been installing windshields for years.

No complaints

This Thurs they are coming to install a new windshield in my Mercedes. Now I'm worried.

Safelight used to manufacture their own glass up until about 2016, when they shut down their plant in North Carolina: https://www.glassbytes.com/2016/08/...lant-and-exit-automotive-glass-manufacturing/ ...Their glass had a poor reputation on the internet gossip. They are now sourcing their glass from companies available to other installers. I thought this was an opportunity for them to improve. Maybe not?

I didn't realize that they operated wholesale warehouses supplying glass to the entire industry, which is what this thread is about.

Their reputation has been poor for many years, but their TV marketing is effective. They always got a bad rap on the professional glass installer forums, where they were accused of bad business practices and bad treatment of employees. Of course some people have good experience with them, if the particular person doing the work has excellent work ethic.

I prefer to have it done at a shop, where they can take more time in a better work atmosphere. But, even I had a bad experience last time when the guy damaged the paint too much and I had them do some remediation work. It's very difficult to find a trusted installer, just like finding excellent mechanics.

Back