Safari 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just now started using Safari 4 in my Mac and first impressions-I like it. The commonly used websites are all presented in the startup screen. It might be a touch slower than Safari 3 however. I like it so far.

So far I like it too. Kind of cool. Few things have changed not necessarily better or worse just a tad different. Some are better of course. Mine is on a original Mac Mini and it runs great.

Yeah, I was really surprised when it first came up after I restarted my computer and it showed all of my favorite websites (including bobistheoilguy.com!). It looked pretty cool. But it might be a tad slower-not sure. Just first impressions so far.

I hear that it is supposed to have better security. I am running it on my iMac. I would not run Safari 4 in Windows. So I don't know what it looks like in Windows.

I didn't know that Safari 4 was coming out. I thought it was going to be included in Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard. There is a new version of QuickTime included with Snow Leopard. It looks pretty neat. You can see it at Apple's website. Snow Leopard will take up half the hard drive space that Leopard uses. The story is you can upgrade to Snow Leopard for $29.99 if you have a legal copy of Leopard.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Snow Leopard will take up half the hard drive space that Leopard uses. The story is you can upgrade to Snow Leopard for $29.99 if you have a legal copy of Leopard.

Back when hard drives were 400mb, this may have mattered. Now, it's basically pointless. I don't even know how much space Leopard uses.

Leopard will be the last operating system on this old PowerPC-based Mac anyway.

I've got Safari 4 installed. Seems nice enough, so far. Other than rearranging the interface some (why did the reload button move?) and that welcome page, I'm not sure what other additional features it has.

I don't think Leopard will run on a PowerPC Mac! Unless they make changes. The last I heard Leopard is compatible with Intel Macs only. Apparently Leopard takes up 12 gb of space because they said that Snow Leopard would save 6 gbs of space. That would probably make it easier to put Snow Leopard on a netbook.

Snow Leopard is a 64 bit operating system. There are apparently not a lot of inmprovements over Leopard so maybe that is the reason for the $29.99 upgrade price. Apple is pretty secretive but the story I hear is that Snow Leopard is faster than Leopard. There are some changes-64 bit operating system with all major applications 64 bit, improved Safari, and improved QuickTime. It is supposed to come out in September, one month before Windows 7. With the low price I will give it a try.

Last edited:
Not sure if Safari 4 is slower or not. Overall it seems slower but when I go to this website that I use as kind of a speed check the video seems to run faster (Youtube-Seattle Kokon Taiko #3).

I don't use Safari for Windows but I do know that Safari 4 for Windows has a more Windows like appearance. But I saw that in a computer magazine.

Last edited:
I don't think Leopard will run on a PowerPC Mac! Unless they make changes. The last I heard Leopard is compatible with Intel Macs only.

It works. I promise you.

Safari updated itself in both of my Vista machines. I keep it as a backup browser. It seems to be slow to launch just like IE8.

I prefer Firefox and Opera.

But the Safari top sites panorama view is something that can be addictive. And, the preloaded 'favorites' are so much better then any other browser.

Gee, it would be nice if it does work on a PowerPC. Every once in a while I keep thinking it would be so much easier to just run an older computer-get a good used Mac desktop and run the best version of Mac OS X (10.6 if it is good and possible to do it) and forget about a lot of this more recent stuff. As long as everything worked, hardware and software, and I could run Photoshop and Microsoft Office for the Macintosh I would be happy.

One thing I forgot-the Finder has been completely rewritten in Snow Leopard.

Oh, also, I meant to say that I don't think Snow Leopard will work on a PowerPC. Sorry.

Just now started using Safari 4 in my Mac and first impressions-I like it.

Apple Fanboy!
LOL.gif

I am starting to kind of dislike Safari 4. At first I liked it but it often seems kind of slow. IE8 often seems faster.

Oh, also, I meant to say that I don't think Snow Leopard will work on a PowerPC. Sorry.

That's true. From what I understand Snow Leopard will not work. I'm using Leopard on my 533mhz G4 and have no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back