sae30, 5w-30, 10w-30 which one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use whatever your vehicle calls for.

Technically, the 5W-30 or 10W-30 will 'heat up' faster than straight 30, I think. They will both flow faster through the engine, and start absorbing heat from the combustion process faster.

That all depends on the vehicle. I lived in Texas for 40-years and never used straight 30W in anything, other than my early air cooled VW's. The cars that called for 5W-30, got 5W-30. It just all depends on the application. Texas summer heat will not kill 5W-30 or 5W-20 oils if the manufacture calls for them.

I run Delo SAE30 (12.1cSt) in summer with some vehicles and 10W30 in others. The differences in heat absorbtion of these various oils will probably be invisible to you and IMO, shouldn't be the main factor in determining which oil you want to run.

If I read the question correctly, I think 30 weight is the answer. I don't know why that is important to you though. The question seems counter productive as far as engine wear goes. Ed

It's just not possible to answer this question without knowing the composition of each one of the oils. It wrongly presumes that all SAE 30's are the same or that all 10W-30's have the same base oils (for examples). So as written it cannot be seriously answered.

I lived in San antonio and Corpus Christi for years. Never seen a need for a monograde oil in a water cooled engine.

To answer your question in general your monograde will heat up faster due to the viscous friction it creates in the warm up phase.
In 1996 I had a dodge Dakota with the 2.5 4 banger in it. I once had the oil changed at this tire place in Corpus Christi and they used straight 30wt. As soon as I left after picking up the truck I thought something was wrong.. it was sluggish and didn't seem to rev well in city traffic(stick shift). I had the [censored] thing in the Dodge warranty shop all the time anyway and I think it soon got some multivisc oil change soon after. [censored] I hated that truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
It's just not possible to answer this question without knowing the composition of each one of the oils. It wrongly presumes that all SAE 30's are the same or that all 10W-30's have the same base oils (for examples). So as written it cannot be seriously answered.

Oh, sorry about that. I use Formula Shell 5w-30. On the 30 minute highway drive home from work I use the a/c which robs some power from the old 4 cyl single cam engine. It's 100f when I start the car. I should get the best fuel economy if I'm using the grade that warmed up/or thinned to 10cst first. Using Formula Shell, is that grade the sae30, 5w-30 or 10w-30?

Thank you all for your interest!

Originally Posted By: jorton
Originally Posted By: Pablo

Oh, sorry about that. I use Formula Shell 5w-30. On the 30 minute highway drive home from work I use the a/c which robs some power from the old 4 cyl single cam engine. It's 100f when I start the car. I should get the best fuel economy if I'm using the grade that warmed up/or thinned to 10cst first. Using Formula Shell, is that grade the sae30, 5w-30 or 10w-30?

Thank you all for your interest!

100F startup temps.

30 minute highway drives everyday.

I see no reason not to use an SAE30.

I've run it forever in my TL and there is no sluggishness or loss of power or gas mileage hit over a 5w-20.

I would recommend a synthetic straight weight so you can get the flow of a 10w-30 with the benefits of a straight 30.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

I see no reason not to use an SAE30.

I will switch to sae30 if it reacts to engine warm-up faster than multi grade.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Use what the manufacturer calls for in that ambient temp.

/thread

Do you have a current chart for a domestic/Japanese application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back