SAE J300 labelling requirements

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, a while back I was reading a presentation by Infineum and it noted the following on one of the slides:
Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 7.39.04 AM.png

This shouldn't be a revelation for anyone here, we know that there's a specific way that these grades are supposed to be written, but we tend to be a bit loose with how that's executed on here, which is fine, casual company/discourse and all that.

However

Why do we see oil companies not following this?

For example, Redline appears to omit the dash per @Phishin's case pic in this thread:

AMSOIL on the other hand, follows the direction above:
1666007292461.png

And my cases and bottles of oil from @High Performance Lubricants all are setup the same way, SAE xW-xx:
5ED25E74-CF90-4759-9D78-2DB8A80C0A65_1_105_c.jpeg

Now, I know we've seen fudging of the grade format for grades that don't exist, like 0W5 for example, but, are there any consequences for not using the proper designation for those that do, or is this sloppiness just tolerated, despite the requirement?

Could unscrupulous sellers absolve themselves of liability by omitting "SAE"? I think so. Without "SAE" the seller isn't claiming that the weight meets the SAE standard. They could claim it meets their own definition.

Yeah there was a discussion a while back where Tom NJ noted that even ExxonMobil was lax with this labeling. But I think they corrected it now.

On the Red Line containers, it could also be that they do not follow the SAE requirements for whatever reason.

Could unscrupulous sellers absolve themselves of liability by omitting "SAE"? I think so.
Yes I think so. There have been some really goofy brands on here that do not say SAE. I always assumed it was because they were not the grade listed which has been confirmed on a few PQIA tests.

Yes but Tom NJ posted the actual SAE requirements and it is supposed to be on the front label. I seem to remember Tom posting some pictures of containers that got it right.
Responded to your note because nothing changed …

You are correct. I still had the PMs from Tom and I thought I remembered him saying that EM had changed their label but they have not.
Must be some method to the madness - maybe they want you to see the back ? Weird stuff - seems like you’d find OEM stuff on the back - but GM or ? seems to drive Dexos on the front (10W30 is not Dexos) …

So, a while back I was reading a presentation by Infineum and it noted the following on one of the slides:
View attachment 121567

This shouldn't be a revelation for anyone here, we know that there's a specific way that these grades are supposed to be written, but we tend to be a bit loose with how that's executed on here, which is fine, casual company/discourse and all that.

However

For example, Redline appears to omit the dash per @Phishin's case pic in this thread:

AMSOIL on the other hand, follows the direction above:
View attachment 121568

And my cases and bottles of oil from @High Performance Lubricants all are setup the same way, SAE xW-xx:
View attachment 121569

Now, I know we've seen fudging of the grade format for grades that don't exist, like 0W5 for example, but, are there any consequences for not using the proper designation for those that do, or is this sloppiness just tolerated, despite the requirement?
Technically, RL isn't following it. There's no space in between the SAE and the 0W-20. :alien::devilish::eek:👻

This just in - must be “fresh” - well, the price increase was fresh …
(look closely - they did not go bold, LoL)

4265ABF2-E73A-4FDF-8E0F-8CCB50188E14.jpeg
9ED23DB6-C35F-415A-BC20-2BD43B5410A2.jpeg

However

SAE has no enforcement abilities over viscosity coding system for engine oils.
They are only responsible for maintaining standards and practices.
You can blame NHTSA for that since they are the ones who placed SAE documentation in their standards and rules and have the power to enforce it.

Technically, RL isn't following it. There's no space in between the SAE and the 0W-20. :alien::devilish::eek:👻
Yes, and no dash between the W and the hot grade, they've got two things buggered up on the bottle there, lol. Though I'd give them a pass on putting SAE above the grade on the bottle, if they had the dash. Mobil appears to think they can get away with that.

Three, if we include SAE totally missing on the box:
1666023387935.png

Last edited:
SAE has no enforcement abilities over viscosity coding system for engine oils.
They are only responsible for maintaining standards and practices.
You can blame NHTSA for that since they are the ones who placed SAE documentation in their standards and rules and have the power to enforce it.
No but then one would logically assume it isn’t an SAE grade designation and therefore may not follow the requirements for viscosity and HT/HS.

Yes, and no dash between the W and the hot grade, they've got two things buggered up on the bottle there, lol. Though I'd give them a pass on putting SAE above the grade on the bottle, if they had the dash. Mobil appears to think they can get away with that.

Three, if we include SAE totally missing on the box:
View attachment 121603
crap, I meant Amsoil with the no space between SAE0W-20. :ROFLMAO:

But yeah, RL too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back