SAE article on Mobil 's F1 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.sae.org/mags/sve/mtrsp/5989

Quote:
This is the area of the company’s latest advance with its new unspecified synthetic component. So secretive are competitors that ExxonMobil doesn’t even patent its advances for fear of tipping off other teams about what it has done.

Quote:
The McLaren team and its ExxonMobil partners, therefore, test extensively to verify durability through bench testing of engines before testing the oil in a racecar. This testing helps to confirm computer modeling that is used to predict the lubricant’s characteristics and the resulting performance improvement.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Perhaps some of that technology will filter down to the comsumer.

It might, but be ready to pay $100 for quart of it
19.gif

and change your engine once a month
15.gif

this part is very interesting, 15% power loss wow:

Lubricant is critical to engine performance because internal frictional losses subtract 15% of an engine’s gross power. "That is a lot of horsepower," Crawley noted. The bulk of these losses are due to the friction of the piston rings sliding through the cylinders and due to the engine bearings, with a smaller amount lost to opening and closing of the valves, according to Crawley.

Friction modifiers in the oil help address these areas, within the limitations of the oil’s ability to withstand pressure. "The joker there is durability," Crawley observed. If that is compromised, the power gains are worthless.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Now SAE is doing fluff marketing for ExxonMobil? Sheesh, next thing we know SAE will be releasing prop papers for GM on ATF!

Why is that "fluff"? It is pretty clear that none of the new ingredients are available in retail products.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Now SAE is doing fluff marketing for ExxonMobil? Sheesh, next thing we know SAE will be releasing prop papers for GM on ATF!

Why is that "fluff"? It is pretty clear that none of the new ingredients are available in retail products.

It's an M1 ad.

SAE fluff ad. I believe XOM has them in their back pocket, and always did.

AD

I think most of you have lost it. That IS NOT a Mobil ad. That is a magazine article for SAE International. Suggest your favorite oil company write an article for them, and there is even a page where you can pay for advertising in their magazine.

Why all the Mobil 1 parinoria all of a sudden?

Keep posting buster, you dig up some good stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny

Keep posting buster, you dig up some good stuff.

I try and post things from all the companies. It's a shame when people get so upset over Mobil 1. It's kind of funny actually.

If you don't like it, don't use it!
grin2.gif

I LOVE Buster's posts. So I'm not sure why you would think my comment are paranoia....or paranoid.....
grin2.gif
45.gif

However, seems like SAE slipped in the brothel thread, and this is an AD. I don't care how you slice it. Mobil1 is hitting back and taking the high road. I do however detest SAE publishing this, the GM ATF whackjob paper, etc. My OPINION, SIR!

"Driver Lewis Hamilton and engineer Tony Harlow add Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to the Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes MP4-23."
5989_5750_ART.jpg

Pure cheese.

I LOVE Buster's posts. So I'm not sure why you would think my comment are paranoia....or paranoid.....
grin2.gif
45.gif

However, seems like SAE slipped in the brothel thread, and this is an AD. I don't care how you slice it. Mobil1 is hitting back and taking the high road. I do however detest SAE publishing this, the GM ATF whackjob paper, etc. My OPINION, SIR!

"Driver Lewis Hamilton and engineer Tony Harlow add Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to the Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes MP4-23."
5989_5750_ART.jpg

Pure cheese.

Would it be "pure cheese" if the bottle said Amsoil?

I don't have much love for Mobil as do many here, but I do respect their advertising. They don't get into the mud slinging, and insulting ads like "think with your dipstick", or 8 times better [censored]. Although catchy, and easy to remember), Johnny dipstick, it is an insult to your intelligence. I for one won't use it because of that, and its price. IIRC it is about $14/ per jug more than PP, no way Johnny dipstick.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I don't have much love for Mobil as do many here, but I do respect their advertising. They don't get into the mud slinging, and insulting ads like "think with your dipstick", or 8 times better [censored].
AD

That is how I have always viewed Mobil's approach. Glad I'm not the only one.

Pablo, I agree it's an ad, but let's face it if it were Amsoil you would be ALL OVER IT and you KNOW IT.
grin2.gif
cheers3.gif

I personally think the "ad" picture is great! Top F1 driver putting the top oil into the top F1 car! It doesn't get any better.
LOL.gif

See above. OF COURSE I Would love it if it were Amsoil. But you too seem to miss my point. This isn't a M1 vs. Amsoil thing. I hate it when you guys see me for bias and nothing else. Sometimes I wish I didn't have the Amsoil avatar by my name.

I hear ya. It's all good. Companies advertise. In doing so, they use "ads".
LOL.gif

Actually the "ad" is very good and informative.

Originally Posted By: buster
I hear ya. It's all good. Companies advertise. In doing so, they use "ads".
LOL.gif

AGAIN - I have NOTHING against ADS!!!! Sheesh.

OK I'll spell it out.

a) It's not an "article"
b) SAE is at least hosting it, and it worst presenting it as an article if not something more......

It looks to me like Mobil is letting the claims attacking 5W30 roll off their backs. They're gearing their ads towards NASCAR, motor sports enthusiasts, and people with more than a HS equivalency diploma. Actually a pretty smart approach. I also like the fact that the people at Pennzoil are staying clear of the whole thing. Amsoil, Schaeffer's and Red Line are staying cool too. I have to give all those companies some respect.

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back