SAE article on Mobil 's F1 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe that's the reason why, after two races, that Lewis Hamilton and McLaren Mercedes (including Heikki Kovalainen) have combined for only ONE point this year.

guys you are getting off topic here..

I want some oil that will not let friction cost me 15% of my total engine power output...

speaking of that will oil that reduces friction best also make car run cooler oil temperatures?

None of the specialty oils used in the top tiers of modern racing have anything to do with their consumer market counterparts. Then again, the race cars have nothing to do with their same branded consumer counterparts either.

What amazes me is how many consumers are influenced by racing connections when the only connection is the name.

BTW, I agree that the SAE degrades itself by publishing these kind of puff-pieces under their name. The Society of Automotive Engineers should be publishing things which are actually useful to Automotive Engineers. From that perspective, this "article" is content free. What do we learn from it? That Mobil continues to develop ever more exotic oils for Formula-1 teams in the endless pursuit of an edge, just like every other oil supplier to Formula-1 teams. Perhaps it will end up like the Formula-1 tire business, where everyone drops out except one supplier (Bridgestone). Does the fact that Bridgestone is still playing the Formula-1 game mean their passenger car tires are better than those from other companies? Nope.

"They're gearing their ads towards NASCAR, motor sports enthusiasts, and people with more than a HS equivalency diploma."

Uh, I don't think NASCAR fans are demographically by and large the most highly educated sector of the population.

So you don't think that some of the R&D that XM puts into F1 may at some future time find it's way to the consumer level?
By the way you coment about the educated sector was weak. Show us NASCAR fans a little more respect.

Last edited:
Racing is often the test bed for high performance lubes. Saying it has nothing to do with the consumer market is not accurate. SuperSyn came about through racing and evolved into a consumer PCMO.

Keep in mind that SAE is a society made up of employees of other companies. In other words, there are many SAE members that work at ExxonMobil. And given their size and market share, I wouldn't be surprised if there are more SAE members from ExxonMobil than from any other oil company.

I've been a member of SAE for over 10 years, but work for another company. If I were an active committee member, I could easily submit stuff like that for publication. Heck, SAE loves to publish good stuff their members are working on even if it shows a bias. Since the primary audience is their competitors, the real question is whether it is in their best interest to publish it.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
Perhaps it will end up like the Formula-1 tire business, where everyone drops out except one supplier (Bridgestone). Does the fact that Bridgestone is still playing the Formula-1 game mean their passenger car tires are better than those from other companies? Nope.

No, but their tires benefit from technological improvements. We've seen some pretty amazing tires coming from Bridgestone lately, and their support for motorsports all the way down to SCCA autocrossing is second to none. Maybe M1 will be similar down the road........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back