sae 30 synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a synthetic sae 30 weight oil from any manufacturer?
If not, what is a great 30 weight oil for summer usage?

Check out the Amsoil main site. Under the diesel oil section (I think), they actually have a SAE 30/10w-30 diesel oil. It's really an SAE 30, but because of the inherent nature of the fluid, it also meets the 10w-30 definition as well.

Amsoil ACD is a straight 30. Because it is synthetic, it performs like a 10W-30, but doesn't break down like one.

I believe Red Line 10W-30 is also a straight oil.

35.gif

Application?

+1 for ACD

Many 10w-30 syns, M1 included, MAY be formulated without VIIs, and therefore are considered straight 30 oils.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
+1 for ACD

Many 10w-30 syns, M1 included, MAY be formulated without VIIs, and therefore are considered straight 30 oils.

So synthetics that are now available start out as a 30 weight?
Cool. Thanks.

+1 for ACD

x2...

+1 for ACD

+2 ACD Its great stuff. I'm running it now in my Rio instead of my normal ASM 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: mickeeand
If not, what is a great 30 weight oil for summer usage?

ACD qualifies as a 10w30 and is good for year round use but it is a straight 30wt.

I've been using the ACD for most of my TL's 75,000 miles. Nothing but good things to say, I'll never change oils. FWIW, the manufacturer recommends 5w-20 but I'll never go back to that unless it's Redline 5W-20.

At 66.3 cst@40 it's about as good many 5w-30s at that temp but has a very good HTHS.

Any other product besides Amsoil?

I think it was mentioned that Redline also has one. I believe and I may be wrong but I think their non "racing" 10w-30 is also a straight weight VII-less oil. Maybe someone can clarify.

Any reason you don't want the Amsoil? So far I have yet to see an SAE30 that has the whole package like the ACD. Cold flow, ZDDP, 100c viscosity vs HTHS, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Any other product besides Amsoil?

I think it was mentioned that Redline also has one. I believe and I may be wrong but I think their non "racing" 10w-30 is also a straight weight VII-less oil. Maybe someone can clarify.

Any reason you don't want the Amsoil? So far I have yet to see an SAE30 that has the whole package like the ACD. Cold flow, ZDDP, 100c viscosity vs HTHS, etc.

No reason really just getting an idea of the different manufactured single 30 weight oils.

Originally Posted By: ccs v2.0
Originally Posted By: ccs v2.0
Year, make?

Since you won't give us any specifics about the application, let me point you to this thread. Pay attention to Doug Hillary's posts.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1483035

Great thread...it was focusing more on HDEO which is cool but I didn't read anything on synthetic straight 30 weight oil.
I think I understand now that synthetic oils, be it 5w/30 or 10w/30 or whatever start out as a 30 weight oil whereas conventional starts out at the lower grade then goes to the next rated grade as it heats up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back