SAE 16 Viscosity Grade - interesting read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Why is it "scary water"? I really don't get this. There's a lot of "stuff" that goes into an oil formulation and specification, viscosity is one of them - but viscosity isn't everything.

If the engine manufacturer determines that the specified lubricant is adequate, why does any number become scary?

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
0w-4 is scary water OMG

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wateroil!

I was just being facetious. I don't see anything wrong with lighter oils. I run 0w-20 in one of my vehicles. If I bought something that required 0w-16, that's exactly what I would run.

I know, it's just the general argument I was trying to understand. Surely 5W-30 is "water" to yesteryear's 20W-50 as well. Yet here we are.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
EBT? As in loading a cart to overflowing at the grocery and paying with EBT and then taking it out to the parking lot and loading it into a Lincoln Navigator? I have seen that.

You lost me buddy. But then again I have a splitting headache today, and I'm not too focused.

EBT- the food stamp card

I got it now, I see it all the time here. That's all I'll say about it..............

I don't believe 0w16 will have the sufficient HTHSV to protect engines designed for 5w30. It is also my understanding that a 0w16 will not be appropriate for most 5w20 applications either.

The engine will need to be made specifically to work with the newer grade.

EBT? As in loading a cart to overflowing at the grocery and paying with EBT and then taking it out to the parking lot and loading it into a Lincoln Navigator? I have seen that.

^^Loading it in their Navigator with rubberband tires,talking on the newest smart phone,carrying a Coach purse,with their nails freshly did,and a new mile high purple chicken head wig.

One day we'll be seeing a *nothingW-air* lubricant (bearings will be riding on a cushion of air) .

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

^^Loading it in their Navigator with rubberband tires,talking on the newest smart phone,carrying a Coach purse,with their nails freshly did,and a new mile high purple chicken head wig.

+1

One day we'll be seeing a *nothingW-air* lubricant (bearings will be riding on a cushion of air) .

Atually Mola was already talking about the future of engines possibly being ceramic with no liquid lubricant.

Air bearings are already used in certain applications. And the ceramic engine, generally an adiabatic engine proposal, couldn't use a petroleum based lubricant due to the high operating temperature. The Japanese did a lot of work on adiabatic engines back in the late 90's but I haven't heard much lately. This type of engine would be very efficient due to not having to reject heat through a radiator.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Atually Mola was already talking about the future of engines possibly being ceramic with no liquid lubricant.

According to the old j300 spec sheet Shannow put up, SAE16 HTHS is sitting where SAE 20 was a few years ago.
Could 10W20 CJ-4/SM be far behind the new 15W30?

LMAO, I have no issues with the idea of EBT but some of the people who have it, I agree with you guys.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
This will be one step below using Kerosene as a lube.
Actually, kerosene IS used as a lube in the manufacture of aluminium foil.

Another in the series of "Fun Facts to Know and Learn with RF Overlord"

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
This will be one step below using Kerosene as a lube.
Actually, kerosene IS used as a lube in the manufacture of aluminium foil.

Another in the series of "Fun Facts to Know and Learn with RF Overlord"

Yet kerosene is a terrible lubricant compared to diesel fuel.

There is a quite drmatic proof of this. In 2007 Cessna 172N -type of aircraft was forced to perform an emergency landing onto a highway in Finland. The cause was poor lubrication of JET A1 kerosene which caused fuel pump failure. Jet A1 was approved for use in the CR engine by the manufacturer.

Engineers performing approval tests for engine had tested lubrication for kerosene using HRFF-method instead of Bocle which is a standard method for Jet A1, not HRFF.

Back to the topic..

Last edited:
Comparing modern day 'thinner' oils to kerosene is like comparing 0w40 to STP oil additive... c'mon guys.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Comparing modern day 'thinner' oils to kerosene is like comparing 0w40 to STP oil additive... c'mon guys.

Wemay, I was being sarcastic when I made that comment. I know you can't compare a lubricating oil to Kerosene for lubrication.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Wemay, I was being sarcastic when I made that comment. I know you can't compare a lubricating oil to Kerosene for lubrication.

Lol... so was i, that is why i included Chris Carter's "C'mon"
wink.gif

That's the first I've heard of a future "4" high temperature grade. I had heard of the "12" and "8" grades before. The 12 grade has an HTHS of 2.0, and the 8 grade has an HTHS of 1.7, so I suppose 4 would make another step to 1.4.

Somewhere in all of this I wouldn't be surprised if somebody comes up with an engine with all roller bearings. Turbine engines use rolling element bearings and low viscosity lubricants and have been developed to last a long, long time. I'm not saying the technology would transfer to recip engines easily, but there would be big advantages in reducing engine friction. Not only from the roller bearing part of it, but also from reducing the oil flow requirement from the pump. The bearings wouldn't need to be flooded with oil as conventional bearings are. They could work with a low-pressure misting flow from targeted supply tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back