Sad, sad day... My Saturn is on death's door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSC_0172_zpsd43cb086.jpg

Cam belt done. I'm not geartoolhead!

Crank pulley wasn't bad (and everyone seems to think it is.)

I put a dinky HF 3-jaw puller on it, threw an old head bolt down the hole in the middle, cranked tight. Rapped on the pulley, then got another 1/2 turn on the jaw's threading. Repeated until it came off.

Went back on with a block of wood and hammer tapping it halfway home, then the crank bolt and impact sent it the rest of the way.

Biggest deal is the stupid brace, and jacking the engine so high it started pulling up on the radiator via lower hose.

Still, the whole car is eerily close to a saturn s-series. Both take autolite 3923 plugs, fram 3614 filters, and 175/70/14 tires. Having done an s-series timing chain, neon belts aren't that onerous.

Great car.. I had a 2001 R/T that I owned for 5 years and I never had any real problems with it. (power window switches x2)

Take care of it and it should last you a few more years no problem.

Like you said, a similar car to Saturn in that its DIY friendly and cheap to own. Enjoy!

They are very easy cars to work on. I destroyed the crank pulley when I pulled it off of mine, along with the puller I was using. Luckily a new one wasn't too expensive! The rest of the timing belt job is cake.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
So what's the plan with the Saturn? Scrapyard?

Maybe! The trans is actually getting better but the registration runs out at the end of september. Don't want to renew.

Trying to sell it, for example for a homeless guy to live in, but the economy is getting better FAST and beaters don't draw the same interest they drew last year or two ago. I need a blip in gas prices as this still gets 39.5 MPG.
laugh.gif

Parts car for the corner of the yard?

On cinder blocks, in an attempt to reduce property taxes? J/K.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Originally Posted By: eljefino
...but the economy is getting better FAST ..

So I assume the price of scrap metal is up as well?

That, and fuel, will mean it's overheated.
27.gif

It's not paint, it's magic plastic!

The stuff gets scratches and swirls pretty easy, but hose it off and it looks good from 20 paces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back