Sad, End of an Era....

Lotus has an electric future, and their last IC powered car will apparently be a paddle shift automatic with flat panel instruments....had to happen I guess, but the purist in me is weeping.

I'm OK w/ the SUV and sedan plans, let those high margins fund sports car development, but an automatic is unforgivable. Oh well. time marches on and I realize I am a magneto guy in a coil on plug (or plug in hybrid) world...:D

Lotus, 2022+

Last edited:
I understand that they're ending production of the Elise, Exige, and Evora but it's not the end of the line for Lotus cars with gasoline engines or manual transmissions. The new replacement Emira will come with a ~ 400hp Mercedes M139 Turbo 4 cylinder or a Toyota sourced ~400hp 2GR-FE supercharged V6, and the V6 will be available with a 6 speed manual. Yes electric Lotus cars are coming but since Lotus doesn't make their own engines they can always call up Toyota, or Mercedes or GM and get a gasoline engine if they want one.

One of my sports car buddies bought a Europa;
1640552712791.png

I came thisclose to buying a yellow Elan but bought a BMW2002 instead;

I was infatuated with Emma
1640552925801.jpg

Rip Colin;

1640553104761.jpg

I understand that they're ending production of the Elise, Exige, and Evora but it's not the end of the line for Lotus cars with gasoline engines or manual transmissions. The new replacement Emira will come with a ~ 400hp Mercedes M139 Turbo 4 cylinder or a Toyota sourced ~400hp 2GR-FE supercharged V6, and the V6 will be available with a 6 speed manual. Yes electric Lotus cars are coming but since Lotus doesn't make their own engines they can always call up Toyota, or Mercedes or GM and get a gasoline engine if they want one.
I had read that, but then read elsewhere that no manuals will be offered in the Emira, though possible that applies to the US. Given their low volume vs. certification costs, I can't see them offering IC options once their course is set. Sad to see the approaching end of truly basic sports cars though, well traditional ones.

Judging by what is in your stable, I am really surprised about this post. IMO, Chapman's Lotus has ceased to exist long time ago and I have already grieved and learn to accept that for just a long.

Judging by what is in your stable, I am really surprised about this post. IMO, Chapman's Lotus has ceased to exist long time ago and I have already grieved and learn to accept that for just a long.
Have you lived with an Elise? No it's not a 7 or my old Europa but it is rather focused, and its quality is sure Lotus:)

Retro styling is in and maybe they'll bring the Fritchie back with a few modern upgrades. I'm partial to the Brougham. It's like riding a throne with a view.

Back