Sad day for Ariel firefighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you live in a forest fire prone area, you've likely seen these big 4 engine turbo prop planes with red and white paint. They are P3 Orions converted to air tankers by the Aero Union corporation, the largest ariel firefighting contractor in the United States. They pioneered the development of airborne firefighting systems. Unfortunately, they're out of business. These tankers were arguably the best ariel firefighting planes ever converted from prior military use. They were fast in response times, had huge fuel capacity, and great slow speed characteristics.

http://wildfiretoday.com/2012/01/01/aero-union-to-auction-their-p-3-air-tankers/

Yet they did not conduct the required safety checks.

Would be good to get them back up to protect lives and property.

ariel firefighting?

Did the little mermaid start a business?

In all seriousness.. that's some sad news.

Ariel?
641%2520Ariel.jpg

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
If you live in a forest fire prone area, you've likely seen these big 4 engine turbo prop planes with red and white paint. They are P3 Orions converted to air tankers by the Aero Union corporation, the largest aerial firefighting contractor in the United States. They pioneered the development of airborne firefighting systems. Unfortunately, they're out of business. These tankers were arguably the best aerial firefighting planes ever converted from prior military use. They were fast in response times, had huge fuel capacity, and great slow speed characteristics.

http://wildfiretoday.com/2012/01/01/aero-union-to-auction-their-p-3-air-tankers/

That sucks for the western states. I wonder if someone - or local companies will pick up the slack??

Sorry, I'm no spelling bee champ.
blush.gif

The loss of Aero Union is a HUGE dent in US Forest Service fire fighting and there really isn't anything or any company that can pick up the slack right now. Those P3s were awesome because if there was a fire say in Colorado where I'm at, they could leave Chico California and be on the fire within 2 hours (utilizing local small airports for operations/reloading slurry).

Last edited:
Very unfortunate but if they weren't maintaining the inspections they had it coming. When you have one customer, you'd better comply with their rules.

They also developed the MAFFS and AFFS system to quickly convert the Guard and Reserve C-130 into firefighting platforms. It was an ongoing contract, I wonder if they will continue with that contract.

Originally Posted By: tom slick

They also developed the MAFFS and AFFS system to quickly convert the Guard and Reserve C-130 into firefighting platforms. It was an ongoing contract, I wonder if they will continue with that contract.

I believe one of is it 3? Reserve Units is based right here at Peterson Air Force base, that utilize the firefighting C-130s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back