Sacrifice of a virgin FL-910s with louvers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the talk of closed louvers had gotten me a little paranoid about my filters. I bought this filter a while back but didn't use it because the louvers seemed awful tight. Today I decided to check it out so chopped up this new filter. I've decided it's much ado about nothing. Even though the louvers were close it seems the total area would be just fine for oil flow. Overall it seemed to be a well made filter and I will use these in the future. Here are the pics.

20170529_101617%20Small_zpsywg4z9j8.jpg

20170529_101627%20Small_zpsdbr0b2ef.jpg

20170529_101916%20Small_zpsgyioytxp.jpg

20170529_101929%20Small_zpsofm0s7qx.jpg

20170529_102554%20Small_zpsxi0zycov.jpg

20170529_102557%20Small_zpsurcygpr9.jpg

20170529_102602%20Small_zpswu9f4jcf.jpg

20170529_102711%20Small_zps9mjigdlb.jpg

Looks like a good filter to me. Too bad you wasted your money and cut it open unused instead of using it :]

Sometimes you just have to sacrifice one to ease your mind. Thanks. Looks good.
MC filters always looked and felt like quality to any novice. Some still are but it would be nice to get top quality again at MC pricing. All of my 910's have been good and priced as we all know very cheaply and usually very fresh too
smile.gif

On the few louvered filters I have cut open, I have found several may have poor openings in one direction, but the ones facing the other way are just fine. I have not seen one yet that has poor openings facing both directions (but does not mean there are not any). Problem is if you have one with the poor openings facing you, you can't be 100% sure the other side is open without cutting it open. I guess if you bought one of those cheap inspection cameras you may be able to.

Originally Posted By: cb4017
I've decided it's much ado about nothing.
Even though the louvers were close it seems the total area would be just fine for oil flow.

I and other have been preaching this for a while.

What they lack in area, they make up for in numbers.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Looks like a good filter to me. Too bad you wasted your money and cut it open unused instead of using it :]

Yeah. I can see cutting an unused filter to see what the media looks like, but the louvers don't change between a new and a used filter.

Originally Posted By: kohnen

Yeah. I can see cutting an unused filter to see what the media looks like, but the louvers don't change between a new and a used filter.

Cracks me up when people call others out for spending their own money. I wouldn't call it a waste of money; the OP is contributing to the discussion here on the board. You'd be singing a different tune if the louvers were closed or the media was damaged.

The louvers look fine here, and the FL910 has generally shown good post use anecdotes. It is still good practice to check before purchase. I would say though that based on posted anecdotes, 'some' louvers that didn't look great just looking down the tube on post use, looked ok once the media was removed and some light put to them.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted By: Onug
Originally Posted By: kohnen

Cracks me up when people call others out for spending their own money. I wouldn't call it a waste of money; the OP is contributing to the discussion here on the board. You'd be singing a different tune if the louvers were closed or the media was damaged.

My intent wasn't to "call out". Just felt like he should have used the actual filter.

No I wouldn't be singing a different tune. Louvers closed or media damage is going to happen to every company, whether often or not. The only benefit is that it wouldn't be used because it was cut open. But there's no clear way to tell media damage unless you cut open, but then, AGAIN, you can't use it after that.

No worries Gents. I wasn't going to use this particular filter anyway. Based on what I could see through the outlet hole the louvers were almost closed off. Now that I've cut one open and can see it's not as bad as I imagined I will start using these filters again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back