Sabine Schmitz Died.

Wow, had no idea she was ill; I always enjoyed her ride in some Ford cargo van around the track. She had no issues openly expressing the enjoyment and/or terror of the situation. RIP.

Her namesake, the Holy Martyr Saint Sabine of Egypt, is commemorated in Orthodox Christianity on March 16 so if there was a good day for Sabine Schmitz to depart from us yesterday was the day.

I have been rewatching old episodes of Top Gear on Prime and I just saw the one where she drove the van around the Ring a few days ago. I didn't even know she was sick :(

I too was unaware she'd been fighting cancer. A friend of mine who was able to meet her and her family several years back shared the news this AM on Instagram and I was completely shocked. She was an incredible driver and her E39 M5 Ring Taxi video stands out in my mind as one of the delightful pursuits that she enjoyed, thoroughly terrifying the uninitiated with her skill and calm.

My heart is broken. I’ve loved her for the longest time and what a gal! Being a girl racer is one thing but taming the ring is a whole ‘nother ball game and she’s done it
AB59D02A-9358-4475-B04B-E17374D8F872.jpeg
since her teens. The world of racing and car enthusiasts has lost one of their own. RIP my lovely Queen, the line of broken hearts is a mile long; I ought to know; I’m in that line.

Back