Saab going home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that's gonna work. A tiny local luxury car-maker buying what is now an international brand and trying to make it work?

The volume just won't be there. Saab is done.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I don't think that's gonna work. A tiny local luxury car-maker buying what is now an international brand and trying to make it work?

The volume just won't be there. Saab is done.

Honestly, I thought Saab was a better regarded company when it was owned by Swedes. The last 20 years of ownership by GM didn't do much good for the brand. I don't think the Swedes that are taking it back can do much worse. If anything, they may be able to turn it into a rather elite brand that it once was. Sure, maybe the volumes won't be as high, but at least whatever comes out of there will have some kind of real identity. Let's hope.

I wish them luck. GM may have been a horrible parent to SAAB, but it did keep it in business when it would have gone under long ago.

Good for them, always liked their styling, was nearly going to buy a Saab Aero wagon when looking for a used car(got the Xterra instead). It would have been a shame to see them sink due to GM. I hope they can get back on their feet.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Honestly, I thought Saab was a better regarded company when it was owned by Swedes. The last 20 years of ownership by GM didn't do much good for the brand. I don't think the Swedes that are taking it back can do much worse. If anything, they may be able to turn it into a rather elite brand that it once was. Sure, maybe the volumes won't be as high, but at least whatever comes out of there will have some kind of real identity. Let's hope.

+1

SAAB was highly regarded but SAAB as it was managed back in the 80's couldn't compete in the global market and was on its way out the door unless someone did SOMETHING. At the very least, GM kept it on life support. I do hope it does better. I don't think it was doing bad, though, until GM lucked up and got Cadillac revved up after the CTS was introduced. Then you had two competing uplevel badges. Plus, I've never been impressed with SAABs marketing approach. It seems they think they can only target a certain segment of Northeastern elitist snobs. There's a big tuner market in Sweden and a decent one here and in the UK.

If anyone can make this situation work it will be the Swedes.

They lost their edge and the reason to buy them when they were taken over by GM. All you were buying with the SAAB 9-3 was a tarted up Opel Vectra.

Actually SAAB was doing quite well in the 80's. I wish they could have found a way to stay inside the Scania fold back then.

If Tata can run Jaguar and Land Rover, then a super-high-performance carmaker can run a company making cars for the middle class.

Maybe Saabs will again have performance numbers that justify high sales prices. Lately their list prices have been higher than the quality and features justified, IMO. (I drove mostly Saabs from 1977 to 2003.)

Financially, they were NOT doing well. Thus the reason GM bought them-ie they needed a cash infusion to stay in business. The NG900/OG 900 was highly Vectra based. But SAAB had first crack and the newer Epsilon platform and spent a LOT of time engineering it to their liking.

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
If anyone can make this situation work it will be the Swedes.

They lost their edge and the reason to buy them when they were taken over by GM. All you were buying with the SAAB 9-3 was a tarted up Opel Vectra.

Actually SAAB was doing quite well in the 80's. I wish they could have found a way to stay inside the Scania fold back then.

SAAB-Scania's reality was no different than AB Volvo's. In both instances the automotive divisions were sucking the life-blood out of their commercial truck operations. Neither company had any choice but to cut their car operations loose. The trucks were always the profit centers for both groups. With my Volvo VNs I can understand why, I love 'em.

I still miss the "real" SAABs, though. A 5-door 9000 2.3T still ranks among my favorite cars ever. I wish the folks at Koenigsegg all the luck in the world. I think the combination has a lot of potential...

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
If Tata can run Jaguar and Land Rover, then a super-high-performance carmaker can run a company making cars for the middle class.

Maybe Saabs will again have performance numbers that justify high sales prices. Lately their list prices have been higher than the quality and features justified, IMO. (I drove mostly Saabs from 1977 to 2003.)

I concur, though there was a beautiful Jet Black Metallic 9-5 Aero, with black sport leather seats, at my local dealer that was just begging me to take it home the last time I stopped by. The fact they were offering an awesome deal on it made it awfully hard to resist.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Many folks would argue that a 9000 isn't a real SAAB either. It's all relative...and pointless.

True, there are those who insist there hasn't been a real SAAB since they built the last "smoker".
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Many folks would argue that a 9000 isn't a real SAAB either. It's all relative...and pointless.

True, there are those who insist there hasn't been a real SAAB since they built the last "smoker".
LOL.gif

That or the argument would be that a real SAAB has a longitudinal transaxle that makes the engine accessory drive face the firewall.

That, and no MacPherson strut suspension either.

However, I wonder about something.... Where would SAAB have been if their unique transaxles lasted longer?

Fun cars, I've had both (the saabs I mean). Brakes from [censored] but good mpg due to the "Free Wheeling" pull lever. Gotta love that V-4 engine in the sonnetts!

Saab used to be an innovative company until both GM came along and the rest of the world caught up. Front wheel drive and aerodynamic in 1952. First turbo production car in 78. I had a 76 99 ems that was already fuel injected and 4 wheel disc brakes. One of the earliest (earliest?) to use seat belts. One of the first to use direct ignition, etc.

It needs to be innovative again to find it's niche again.

Last edited:
Eh, I never cared what was "real" or not. They are still fun-to-drive cars to this day. My 9-5 was a blast. Comfortable and roomy as can be and I was never able to upset it in the slightest no matter how hard I took a corner. I surprised a lot of little ricers.

Of course, now, with my Fit...I guess I practically AM a little ricer...

But I'm still keeping my eye out for a nice 1997-99 vintage 900 or 9-3 to play with. Once you compensate for the horrible suspension in those cars, they are a blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back