Saab Codes

One of my SAAB's ran into an issue over the weekend P0245 P0201-204. I did all the mandatory wiring checks on the injector/wastegate sub harness, all okay so the ECU has a bad injector/wastegate chip. Now to get a chip and replace it and heat shield the ECU or replace the ECU and clone it if I can find a good one.
Not a big job at all just a PITA due to this thing being an orphan.

I'm interested in the question and the answer. My '06 Saab 9-3 has never had a code but it is getting old and I expect one eventually. Don't have a tech 2 scanner so can't do much w/o one. Saabs are indeed orphans.

You would be doing a good thing to insulate that ECU from the heat before you get codes. Very easy to do I just never got around to it sooner.
I do have a real Tech 2 and a SAAB card so it that makes things easier.

You can get an idea of how its made, you can make your own for under $20 with everything from Amazon or McMaster-Carr. No need to spend $100.

If anyone is interested in the chip that fails this is the one. The original is a Motorola but this one from TI is the replacement #.

chip.jpg

Update: Finally got the chip and the time to do this job. Remove ECM open it, remove and replace chip, make heat shield. It started right up and runs perfect, no codes or abnormal fuel trims, no injectors loosing ground and dropping out.

First remove the ECM and open the case, do not go more than the angle shown.

IMG_0055.JPG

This and a small screwdriver are what works well for opening the case, use a small razor knife to very carefull slice the RTV.

IMG_0059.JPG

This is where you can carefully pry after removing the 3 torx screws. start at the lower right corner.

IMG_0058 2.jpg

This is the new chip installed, #1 pin is on the upper right looking at it from the open angle, it is identified by the round dot.

2.jpg

The old chip. You must remove the coating so you can get the mini heat gun to it.

IMG_0056.JPG

Reseal the ecm with grey RTV, no need to remove any in the ecm if it is not loose just a thin layer as can be seen in the above pic of the unit.

I made a plate using heat resistant 1/4" fiberglass plate and 4 rubber cushions, you need to add a small ground wire and attach it to one of the throttle body bolts.

IMG_0060.JPG

Reinstall the ECM.

IMG_0066.JPG

No Tech 2 needed (I have an original when needed) as it is already married to the car, I just checked the fuel trims with a cheap simple scan tool. Previously they were LTFT -25 with a rich code, then it would bounce to +25 then act somewhat normal for a few seconds. I drove it 20 min and nothing abnormal, the chip was loosing its main ground as well as the injector and bypass valve switches. These ECM are over a grand but are no longer available and for used the ebay idiots are smoking crack with their prices and repair places rarely fix these right, so its time to dive in.

IMG_0062.JPG

I never could wrap my head around why manufacturers choose to house the PCM in the engine bay, especially mounted to the engine where it's susceptible to high temperatures. Nevertheless, that is a great save - especially with the custom heat shield! :love:

I never could wrap my head around why manufacturers choose to house the PCM in the engine bay, especially mounted to the engine where it's susceptible to high temperatures. Nevertheless, that is a great save - especially with the custom heat shield! :love:
Cost cutting - but also a less complex wiring harness if it doesn’t need to snake through a bulkhead/firewall into the cabin. That Saab ECM is full of potting/conformal compound too. But, many PCMs mounted in the engine bay are rated for water/dust intrusion. The PCBs have gotten thicker and there’s a Gore-Tex or labyrinth vent if there’s a baro sensor included with the controller.

With CAN/LIN/FlexRay, the only connections the ECM/PCM needs to provide the infotainment/body control/instrument panel is a data bus.

Short cables!

Back