SAAB 340 and de-icing boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a flight on a SAAB 340 this week. It is pretty comfortable, compared to cattle class on an B737 or A320...

Noticed the de-icing boots working on descent. Never seen it before and have been doing some reading on it. Very Interesting. Must say it surprised me to see the leading edge blow up like that... for the first time... till the ice started flying and I got it.

Not 340 specific, but:

Where did you fly on a 340 in passenger service? Not in the US, was it?

And I've seen the pneumatic boots in action on a Beech 1900D. I agree it's pretty cool.

This was on Regional Express in Australia

They have a pretty large fleet of them actually. A few pics on Airliners.net

Siver Airways still operates the Saab in the US.
You always see these at various Florida airports, especially FLL.
They have a code-share agreement with United on some routes, so if you really want to fly on one, you can probably make it work on a trip between Florida and the north, although the routing will be longer than just flying United. Last time I looked it would have been cheaper, though.

Nah, I've flown on plenty. I just didn't know any were still in passenger service here in the US.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Siver Airways still operates the Saab in the US.
You always see these at various Florida airports, especially FLL.
They have a code-share agreement with United on some routes, so if you really want to fly on one, you can probably make it work on a trip between Florida and the north, although the routing will be longer than just flying United. Last time I looked it would have been cheaper, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back