SA Rated Oil at O'Reilly's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at O'Reilly's yesterday getting a small vacuum hose and did my obligitory walk through the oil area. I saw some of their house brand oil that said "SA 10-30" in big letter on the front. Upon further reading on the back of the bottle it did say no detergents and not suitable for modern engines, but that was in not very big print. I wonder how many people just buy the cheapest oil they can find and pour it in, not realizing they just put a sludge time bomb into their engine.
crushedcar.gif

I saw somebody with a few qs of Accel. If it were give-away priced, maybe can be used a a flush oil.

Quote:

I was at O'Reilly's yesterday getting a small vacuum hose and did my obligitory walk through the oil area. I saw some of their house brand oil that said "SA 10-30" in big letter on the front. Upon further reading on the back of the bottle it did say no detergents and not suitable for modern engines, but that was in not very big print. I wonder how many people just buy the cheapest oil they can find and pour it in, not realizing they just put a sludge time bomb into their engine.

This is the modern equivalent of the problem with the old "Red Top" and "Green Top" Quaker State cans. The Red Top was the high detergent oil; the Green Top was non-detergent. The Green Top was a few cents cheaper but the cans were identical except for the color of the circle on the top. I'm convinced most of the sludge problems attributed to Quaker State throughout the 60s and 70s were the result of people using Green Top to save a few cents.

Quote:

When was SA in use?

The API motor oil guide has this to say about SA oil:
Quote:

"CAUTION—Contains no additives. Not suitable for use in gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1930. Use in modern engines may cause unsatisfactory engine performance or equipment harm."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back