S2000 - Will 9000 rpm and M1 0W30 AFE be ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really conservative when it comes to hths and turning 6000 rpm's or more regularly. Heat, Pressure, Shearing and turbulence can get insane as rpms increase a lot at the main bearings.

Heat and friction at the wrist pin is crazy!

Think about how much sliding is going on between a ring and it's bore at 9000RPM????

The hths, long term shear stability of VI's,and additive package between the various XW30 oils is all over the place. As sustained RPM increase this sort of stuff matters.

OK I'm just going to say it. Motul 300V, 5w-30. If ever I saw a need where I could justify its cost, this is it. The pounding seen at 9000 RPM at the journals, pins and valve train scream out for the unshearability, high film strength and thermal stability.

Yes it's ridiculously expensive, probably a factor of three or better, but when those cams shift and that blood curdling sound at 9000 RPM sets in at least I would know I had done everything that could be done to help it live.

It's an easy position to disagee with I know. I just think the discussion so far is maximizing for cost a bit too much. I want to maximize for protection. The OP's car is a 100k car that needs every advantage it can get. My own personal motto is, a day without a 100MPH is a bad day and I'm lucky to live where every day is not a bad day. I think the OP feels the same.

Last edited:
At the time the motor was built, it had the fastest piston speed of any production car motor. Now it is number four on the list, think. But Honda specced a simple conventional oil for it! 300V isn't a bad idea, but I see plenty of people thrashing these things on less exotic oils.

FWIW, this motor has 181K on it. You wouldn't know it to drive it, hear it, smell it, etc...

robert

ive been using 10w30 Valvoline Synthetic in mine. no burning issuse and this oil always comes back with great UOA's. change it out every 5k or every year.

if i cant get that i usually use castrol black edge 1w030

honda says 10w30 so i stick with that. The engineers know whats best imo

I defer to you guys. I don't have a dog in this hunt. I just enjoy getting our Civic Si on the cam and marveling at the gear selection Honda's engineers' made to be able to keep it there with fast shifts. Although its redline is only 8000 the wonderful sound always gives me premonitions of spun bearings or the big bang that ain't no theory (worry wart). My daughter is driving that car for the time being so it was a good time to finally try PUP instead of the previous 5W-40 Redline. I envy you guys who have fun in that car.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
I defer to you guys. I don't have a dog in this hunt. I just enjoy getting our Civic Si on the cam and marveling at the gear selection Honda's engineers' made to be able to keep it there with fast shifts. Although its redline is only 8000 the wonderful sound always gives me premonitions of spun bearings or the big bang that ain't no theory (worry wart). My daughter is driving that car for the time being so it was a good time to finally try PUP instead of the previous 5W-40 Redline. I envy you guys who have fun in that car.

Honda knows how to make a car, that is for sure. I wish they'd make exciting cars again, like the S2000. The Civic Si is about as lose as they get these days, and it's certainly an amazing engine, itself. I do agree with you that optimizing cost is not really my goal in this case (or ever, really, to be honest).

robert

A new patent by Honda surfaced in the news yesterday. It was a drawing of an "NSX lite" - smaller than the upcoming NSX. Honda USA president was reportedly very coy about it. There is hope!

Originally Posted By: rrounds
I like M1 0/40 in my '06 S with a dose of MoS2. Have 115k very fun miles on my S and plan for a lot more.

Nice. Are all of those miles yours? I ended up putting M1 0W40 in it because that's what I had in the garage. Went with the Honda 15400-PCX-004 filter because that's what Honda says to use!

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Originally Posted By: rrounds
I like M1 0/40 in my '06 S with a dose of MoS2. Have 115k very fun miles on my S and plan for a lot more.

Nice. Are all of those miles yours? I ended up putting M1 0W40 in it because that's what I had in the garage. Went with the Honda 15400-PCX-004 filter because that's what Honda says to use!

robert

I bought my S with 18,600 miles on it back in late '10. For a filter I use Baldwin filters. I have used the B7042 and B202.
Here are some pic's of a stock S2000 filter, a Wix for the S and a Baldwin B7042 oil filter. I was surprised to see how small the Wix filter was, a lot less filter element in the Wix can.

Honda puts a larger oil filter on the S than they used on any of their cars and I just upped it a little.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back