Honda S2000 90k miles; 1k Miles on Penrite Racing 10w40

First UOA on my S2000, changed early due to hard driving including one track day. Car has approximately 150,000km on the clock (90,000 miles) with 1000 miles on this oil.

Short OCI conducted as I was eager to check up on the motor following valve retainer replacement and following the vehicle's first track day.

Penrite Racing 10w40 was used, no doubt would've been safe to go much further and I will do so on the next batch of oil.

Can I get thoughts on the wear metals in the images below? I'm worried Iron, Aluminium and Lead are high on such a short interval.

Thank you!

20200107_200739.jpg

20200107_200714.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not high at all considering you are tracking the car. A very short interval is not really valuable at all to "estimate" wear, especially since UOA is not intended to assess wear. All you really get is relevant data on the items in the "physical tests" section, and those all look good.

You need longer intervals and/or more UOAs to be able to assess a trend; 5ppm Fe may turn out to be 10ppm Fe at 4k miles, etc.... remember that when you take such a short UOA there is some minor carryover from the last oil change; i.e. you don't get every last bit of oil out of the engine on a drain no matter how long you leave it, and this remainder will always cause your "virgin" oil to have slightly higher levels at very short mileages. These will then begin to trend more in line with what is actually going on. But again, don't make the mistake of thinking UOAs are a valid indicator of "wear".

Looks like the ancient Valvoline VR-1

Maybe try an oil with more moly, similar ZDP, lower CA. Mg

basically high EP/AW low DP

No need to change just sample.

I drive my car like a madman, it doesn't wear fast, it would just blow if I make a boo-boo.

Thanks everyone, currently using Nulon Racing 5w30 that will see a track day in January and another in April, as well as some driving in between.

Don't know what the full add pack is, but the bottle says there is 2300ppm of Zinc and Moly combined.

Hello all,

I just received my UOA for Nulon Racing 5w30. I picked up the wrong oil in error (I was actually planning on using the 5w40) but used it anyway. Whilst the additive pack looks good, the viscosity simply did not seem good enough for the bearings.

The oil saw one track day and some spirited street use totaling approximately 2200km/1400 miles. I ended up topping up with 500ml of 5w40 over the course of the interval with the oil burn rate increasing in the last 500km.

See image below indicating increased Tin (bearing wear)

My next oil is HKS Super Oil 7.5w35 (4L) with 7.5w45 (0.6L) I did not replace the oil filter.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I guess technically Tin has elevated, but really, it seems hardly noteworthy. IMHO, of course, and I know nothing.

Hello all,

By way of update, I have completed another UOA (on a short interval) to keep tabs on the elevated Tin levels in the earlier UOA. I did not replace the filter at the time of changing the oil (S2000 filters are known to last 10,000 miles comfortably if I'm not mistaken)

Excellent UOA in my books using HKS Super Oil '7.5w35 (4L) and 7.5w45 (1L) [Bought these on clearance, those are the weights shown on the bottle!] A friend of mine also gave me half a bottle of Archoil 9100 to throw in; causing the elevated Potassium and Boron levels. [Potassium was flagged as possible coolant issue; I didn't mention the additive to them in the notes. hence the highlight/warning]

This oil saw one track day and mostly spirited use.

Otherwise, extremely happy. Currently running Nulon Racing 5w40

1606811922576.png

Nice to see a fellow S2000 owner post. I have a S2000 which is primarily a track car. After getting a couple UOAs done I've been running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and haven't looked back. I only need to do one oil change per season, the oil holds up that well.

Man that Penrite stuff has a lot of boron.

Otherwise, looks like your high tin might have been an anomaly. Good reports.

Man that Penrite stuff has a lot of boron.

Otherwise, looks like your high tin might have been an anomaly. Good reports.

Thanks, I did cut the oil filter open and there were a VERY small amount of small but visible silver flakes.

I pulled the Vtec solenoid and inspected the screen which contained only one metal fleck.

Alas I am confident now that all is well and will be extending the OCIs going forward and most likely sticking with Penrite

Thanks for all the UOA’s of some very interesting oils.

I would give the Penrite 10-Tenths Racing 10W40 another go, but keep it in for longer this time. It’s rated for street use with a starting TBN of 9.8 according to Penrite. So 5000 KM should be easily. Look at that 1400 ppm of Zinc and 440 ppm of Boron, that is a rich brew, all on a full PAO & Ester base.

Another interesting oil you may want to consider is Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, it’s a full GTL synthetic that is rated A3/B4, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, Porsche A40 and Ferrari approved. Most Euro oils with the above OEM specs tend to run at about 1000 ppm Zinc. Which should be enough when mated to a 40 grade oil.

Either way I would stick to the 40’s as they seem to work well for you.

I am also a S2000 Owner. I read your UOAs with interest. Thanks a lot for sharing.
I am running the Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 at the moment.
Penrite makes very good oils, but they are a little bit hard to get here in Germany.

Good reports all around, even with the mild tin elevation. Looks like around that 11.0cSt at 100C is ideal. I did a lot of experimenting on oil in my AP1, but it was more with oil pressure and temperature on track. I found the stock S2000 oil filter or a K&N gave me a few more PSI oil pressure. I’d probably run Redline 5w-30 or Mobil 1 0w-40 if I still had the car. Those engines are really sensitive to viscosity in relation to heat. Ran a 15w-50 once and it was constantly hitting 280F+ on track (oil temp gauge didn’t read higher). Dropped it down to Redline 5w-30 and it was happy at 260F.

my point is, stick with that heavier 5w-30 or lighter 40 grade. Change the oil filter once a year. Looks like your wear is in check with those.

Hello BITOG,

It's been a while since my last UOA - Very little driving of the S2000 due to living in the most 'locked down' city in the world...

Results below - Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 PLUS Liquimoly CERATEC. A few spirited drives plus two 'low load' track days (cold/wet and limited track time). A few metals are up compared to previous results, but nothing concerning. Approximately 2000km / 10 months.

Current fill is Redline 5w40 - From there, I plan on reverting back to the Penrite 10w40 (from the first UOA, see first post) - Seems to be the most cost effective and also nets the best performance without messing about with additives.

S2KUOA4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello BITOG,

It's been a while since my last UOA - Very little driving of the S2000 due to living in the most 'locked down' city in the world...

Results below - Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 PLUS Liquimoly CERATEC. A few spirited drives plus two 'low load' track days (cold/wet and limited track time). A few metals are up compared to previous results, but nothing concerning. Approximately 2000km / 10 months.

Current fill is Redline 5w40 - From there, I plan on reverting back to the Penrite 10w40 (from the first UOA, see first post) - Seems to be the most cost effective and also nets the best performance without messing about with additives.

View attachment 78713
Thanks for posting. I run penrite racing 10w40 In my evo. We’ve probably been to the same track days over the last couple of years (Melb). I was considering trying Nulon racing 5w40. Where are you getting your oil analysis done?

Back