S2000, Delvac 1 5W-40 vs. M1 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda recommends 10W-30 or 5W-40 in the S2000.

I contacted Mobil support and they recommended their 0W-40 and OK'd Delvac 1 5W-40 after I asked specifically about that product.

I currently have M1 0W-40 in the car, it is much easier to find, but I am concerned about the shear stability w/ the spread. I do 3K oil & filter changes and occasionally track the car at driver's schools.

From reading the UOA and VOA forums, the main difference between the 2 oils is that M1 has some molybdenum and D1 has no moly but much more phosphorus.

As Honda is recommending what is typically a fleet/diesel weight oil and doesn't specify ILSAC GF3, I do not see catalyst poisoning as an issue.

Is the moly more beneficial then increased phos? Is the opposite true? Is there any downside to the D1 in this application?

Thanks and regards, W&w

Well-if you are changing every 3K-its a waste of money using either oil (IMHO). Your facts about the oil are correct. I personally prefer the Delvac. You could also go with a mixture of the M1 10W-30 and 15W-50. More shear stable than the 0W-40.

Delvac 1 without a doubt. In fact, in a few months Mobil is releasing a 5w-40 SUV oil that appears to be Delvac 1 rebottled. I say this bc it's going to be a 5w-40 that is good for both gas and deisel engines. S2000 is very over priced oil and is spotty on UOA's.

Buster...the S2000 referred to here is a CAR!!!

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

If you are worried about shear stability and want a slightly thicker oil just add one quart of Mobil 1 15W-50 with Mobil 1 10W-30 at your next oil change. Many people have mixed Mobil 1 15W-50 with either Mobil 1 5W-30 or 10W-30 and had very good results from this combination. Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 is a better oil but it is hard to find.

Thank you all.

I managed to pick up some Delvac 1 and will run that at the next change.

I'll post the S2000's UOA's when I do them.

Still curious as the the relative benefits of molybdenum vs. high phosphorus.

Now I need to get back to work
banghead.gif

Regards, W&w

Moly is not the only difference. Delvac 1 is a truck oil, has diesel-specific addatives and a formula completely different than M-1. Ever smell the 2? It's as if they're made from different companies.

M-1 SUV formula? That's a joke too since no manuf. spec. a 5-40. IF they even come out with something aka. a QS 4x4-like product, it may be a thicker 5/10-30 and that's all....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back