S&W 22A with sticky grips

My S&W 22A has developed the sticky grip issue. What can I clean or coat with to make the surface normal again. I am not a fan of the replacement grip options.

I have heard cleaning with alcohol followed by a coating of corn starch might work.

Thanks

91% Iso alcohol wipe down and let it dissipate. I've never heard of cornstarch for this. Can't help with that one.

Personally I've never had any luck getting plastic/rubber that has turned sticky to be right again..

Know you said you aren't a fan of aftermarket options, but I've had good luck with Hogue grips.

Me either. I just threw away a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse that got sticky. Tried internet advice on using high percent rubbing alcohol, silicon spray and it simply didn't work. I guess when rubber starts un-vulcanizing, there isn't anything you can do to re-vulcanize it to it's factory state.

Personally I've never had any luck getting plastic/rubber that has turned sticky to be right again..

Know you said you aren't a fan of aftermarket options, but I've had good luck with Hogue grips.
Do you know what grips are available for the 22A from Hogue. I ahve not seen any but have their grips on others

Try ammonia, lemon scented makes it a easier to deal with.

C5 vettes suffer from sticky steering wheel due aging and braekdown of the plastic horn buttton/center (not the leather rim).

A corvette shop in Florida (C&S Corvettes) says it works. It worked better than antthing else I tried, took several rubbings over several days..

Might be worth a shot.

Did you get bore cleaner on the grips? I’ve had this cause stickiness with softer plastics. Never figured out how to fix it though.
Grips just got sticky never been in odd environment or have I used ANY cleaner, chemical.
Try ammonia, lemon scented makes it a easier to deal with.

C5 vettes suffer from sticky steering wheel due aging and braekdown of the plastic horn buttton/center (not the leather rim).

A corvette shop in Florida (C&S Corvettes) says it works. It worked better than antthing else I tried, took several rubbings over several days..

Might be worth a shot.
How long since cleaning?

I had this happen to a trigger operated infrared thermometer I have. The grip is tacky as hell. I tried everything. Nothing seems to work. I agree that it has to be some type of breakdown of the material used.

Back