S-K Tools sold to Chinese company

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a poorly kept secret for a long time now, on garagejournal one of the forum members even got confirmation from a SK rep that the sale was going through just the buyer that's been confirmed now. They say they will keep production in the US, was reading that from an old press release from when Ideal Industries purchased SK, Greatstar's press release makes no mention of that.

Last edited:
Many people refuse to believe that. Then you have Taiwanese-made products that are considered really good stuff and don't tell anyone, but they're part of China. Shhhh
Taiwan is an island off the coast of mainland China. After the communists took over mainland China the democratic nationalist Chinese fled to Taiwan and established a democratic government, The Republic of China (ROC). Mainland China is an authoritarian communist regime, The People's Republic of China (PRC). They are most definitely two separate countries and the PRC is antagonistic to the ROC and would have long ago invaded and conquered them if not for the protection of the U.S.

Taiwan's economy is capitalist and, as you said, has produced high quality goods for decades. Communist China, not so much.

I’ll have to order some stuff from them before everything goes to China. I like what I have so far. At work besides the older guy I’m the only one who has heard of SK. I think if they had more tool trucks around the USA that they would be a better known brand or perhaps chose a retailer or multiples to sell their products at.

Taiwan is an island off the coast of mainland China. After the communists took over mainland China the democratic nationalist Chinese fled to Taiwan and established a democratic government, The Republic of China (ROC). Mainland China is an authoritarian communist regime, The People's Republic of China (PRC). They are most definitely two separate countries and the PRC is antagonistic to the ROC and would have long ago invaded and conquered them if not for the protection of the U.S.

Taiwan's economy is capitalist and, as you said, has produced high quality goods for decades. Communist China, not so much.
I fear Taiwan/Formosa will not be this way for much longer. I know Nippon steel and thyssenkrupp among others made huge investments there in the form of steel mills to produce high grade tool and other steels. That is why so many of their tools have DIN and JIS specs.
The Chicoms are going to take it without question, that little acquisition is already paid for. Nuff said.

****. I really grew to like SK stuff recently; purchasing a nice set of long metric wrenches, some sockets and quite a few individual pieces to fill in the holes... Prices did seem to go up in the last few years; holding me back from buying more. Particularly those x-frame wrenches I have been drooling over. Maybe there will be some kind of fire sale?

Sucks to see the inevitable outsourcing to Asia (I wonder if Chicago, Illinois is/was a factor (Versus a more tax/labor friendly state)

12-mm-6-point-metric-combination-chrome-x-frame-wrench_2.jpg

KNIPEX German made tools. If I will ever buy one, I'll go for this brand. Their pliers are top notch.

I’ll have to order some stuff from them before everything goes to China. I like what I have so far. At work besides the older guy I’m the only one who has heard of SK. I think if they had more tool trucks around the USA that they would be a better known brand or perhaps chose a retailer or multiples to sell their products at.
They were always more of a hardware store/ mail order thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back