S-K Tools sold to Chinese company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eventually there will be no local training grounds for the future Engineers, Technicians, Innovators because North America have sold off all these technologies. Electrification of our automobile fleet does mean hugely less need for fasteners overall, but there will still be need for tools.

• Sad
Reactions: GON
So far the Chinese manufacturers have had zero success in creating popular brand names recognizable in the USA, so they purchase recognized brand names, move the production to China and carry on.

Alternatively, American companies outsource to China and keep their brand names. Not all of it is crap. There are levels of quality implied within brand names that some companies have tried to keep. AC Delco has several levels.

That stinks. Here is hoping they keep making stuff here. My biggest issue with SK was the price for what you get. Anything "non innovative" such as regular ratchets and sockets were on the pricey side compared to other USA made tools. Wright was the only other company i know that used all domestic steel and blanks and they were a bit cheaper. Unless i was looking for something innovative (Xframe,ect.) Wright is my go to because Proto and Williams/SO dont state where they get their steel from. Its the same case with Channellock vs Kliens. Channellock is mostly more cheaper than Klein and they state they use 100% made US Steel. Therefore unless Klien has a specialty plier that Channellock doesnt make, my pliers have blue handles on them becasue they use all american steel. If Greatstar is willing to keep jobs in the USA and are still willing to use American Steel, i will still keep them on my consideration list.

So far the Chinese manufacturers have had zero success in creating popular brand names recognizable in the USA, so they purchase recognized brand names, move the production to China and carry on.

Alternatively, American companies outsource to China and keep their brand names. Not all of it is crap. There are levels of quality implied within brand names that some companies have tried to keep. AC Delco has several levels.
Ironic, isn't it. An "American" name on Chinese-made stuff is okay but a Chinese name on the same stuff is not... I do realize that in all reality, consumers don't really have a choice as the remaining US-built stuff is very, very expensive in comparison and effectively out of reach in price for average buyers.

Exactly.

Ideal probably shouldn't have bought it in the first place. Even Snap On has had to have a lower price tool line. Maybe it will be the same SK at the higher prices, then a foreign made second line. Still, the profits, if any, are going back to Greatstar. Ideal is a private American owned business. Their loyalties are with the USA. I was more bothered by a Chinese company buying Hormel.

Well, the Chinese can make it just as good or just as cheap as the contractor specs.
Many people refuse to believe that. Then you have Taiwanese-made products that are considered really good stuff and don't tell anyone, but they're part of China. Shhhh

SK at HF! Fall 2021
About that....
SK harbor freight.jpg

Many people refuse to believe that. Then you have Taiwanese-made products that are considered really good stuff and don't tell anyone, but they're part of China. Shhhh
Yes, the products made in Taiwan are quite good. I would not hesitate to buy them.

Referencing wikipedia ? :ROFLMAO: Taiwan isn't recognized by the United Nations (anymore). The US hasn't recognized Taiwan (officially) since 1979.
That’s right, and it is all factual. It’s there to read, or other references. There you will find the answers to your claims and why. Taiwan is ROC, China is PRC. Unless you support PRC policies. In any case it is still it’s own country.

Interesting. Here is the sk 94520 65.99 set on Amazon for much more. How old is that, from 1990? That was the time to pick them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back