RX7 rotary , how you check engine condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who has an 88' Mazda RX7 with a mint body and interior for $800.00. The car has 140k on it and it's hard to start and lacks power and runs not so great. It has a new set of alloy wheels and tires which cost more then what he's asking for the car. I think I might buy it just for that and the fact I could part it out if need be. How do you tell if a rotary engine is shot? I have a vacuum and compression gauge.

A regular compression gauge will not work properly on rotary engines. Mazda has a special compression tester that gives a readout for all three combustion chambers per rotor.

From the symptoms you describe, it sounds as if the engine needs a rebuild because of low compression, which in turn would be simply because the seals are flat worn out. 140,000 miles isn't bad at all if this is the original engine, though I've heard of Mazda RX-7s pushing 300,000 miles on the original engine because the owner exercised diligence, proper care, and went the extra mile on maintenance.

If you're really interested in the car, start looking for rebuilt engines from reputable suppliers (tip: not the dealer). Without experience you should not try to rebuild it yourself, but if you have experience it would be fairly easy.

After a proper rebuild or exchange, look at running a small amount of premix or MMO in the fuel along with a good oil in the crankcase per the owner's manual. The new seals, especially the apex seals, will probably last a lot longer. Also, during a rebuild get the radiator and oil cooler flushed: cheap insurance.

Dude, I got a deal for YOU. My father, may he rest in peace, just had a '87 12-A engine rebuilt before he passed away. It has the IMSA kit on it, but the body ain't that great. However, the engine has been totally rebuilt and it's just sitting there in Tennessee. My step mother told me to sell it if you can. Let me know, I'd be happy to get rid of it for her. The car is located in Clarksville Tn., not all that far from where you are at. Would definently be worth the drive for your bud and I'd like to see that engine being used for something than just sitting there. This is serious, no BS on my part. Let me know if your interested.

Just checked mapquest, it's about 370 miles one way.

actually, a regular compression gauge can be used to check the engine, you just have to know what to look for.

and, yes, it does sound as if the engine is shot.

Those were the 12A? For some reason I thought those were the 13B. Isn't the 12A from an RX-2 or RX-3? Maybe I have my wires crossed...

Either way, the engine in his almost certainly needs new seals so Schmoe's solution may be the cheapest.

Go to www.rx7club.com and check out the FAQs on how to check compression and what to look for in a used RX7.

The 12A engine is the wrong engine for a 1988 Mazda. I am not sure what the engine number is for an 88 but the engine puts out 146hp,while the 12A only puts out about 105hp, IIRC correctly. The 12A is for earlier 1st Gen RX7s, the 1988 is a 2nd Gen. My 85RX7 GSL-SE has the 13B engine and it puts out 135hp.

In a nutshell the 12A engine is the wrong engine.

Check out the above website. You are better off getting the compression checked with the proper Mazda equipment.

I just Googled 1988 RX7 engines. Like my 85 RX7, the 1988 NA engine is also a 13B with more horsepower. Stay away from the 12A. It is not a 1987 engine as Schmoe states.

12A was the right engine for the RX7 in Oz, and was also used in the RX2.

A mate had a bridge ported RX2. In winter, you had to tow it in gear to get it started. Once warm, it was wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back