RV's . give me the good and bad of owning one

If you can put one to use and have a large enough property and means to keep it out of the elements when not in use, why not have one.

Going on 3yrs ago, my inlaws (MIL really) thought it would be a great idea for them to buy their first RV. They're in their 70s and never owned one before. They bought a brand new Jayco ~21ft double axle tow behind. Because of health issues with the two of them and complete lack of experience and ability, it's never been used and there it sits wide open in the elements. It's been moved a few times, but only when I can get it all set up and hitched to his truck for him.

I know you can buy some pretty high quality ones, but this Jayco is basically made out of cardboard, foam insulation board, firing strips, ultra thin aluminum sheeting, with basically a pool liner for a roof. Really junky, but they've got to be built light enough so you can tow the darn thing.

Last edited:
I believe RVs are akin to vehicles like the Wrangler; you either love them or hate them. You could not pay me to own an RV, but lots of people(like my in-laws) love them. It's strictly a matter of personal preference; if you DO like them, buy one- life's too short to play woulda, coulda, shouda...

I'm amazed at the amount of dealers, my god new units everywhere here in WI./UP makes me wonder about destination slots have to be way over subscribed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dblshock
I'm amazed at the amount of dealers, my god new units everywhere here in WI./UP makes me wonder about destination slots have to be way over subscribed.

Right? There's got to be 6 huge RV dealers within 30 miles of where I live. Always with massive new/used inventories on acreage.

To me, it's difficult enough taking my family of 6 on a long road trip. I couldn't imagine trying to share the roads, navigating and getting in/out of places with an RV in tow or otherwise. Not my thing.

The bad of owning one: I can't use it right now.

The good of owning one: A Dr. who is caring for Covid patients is able to use it, so she's not putting her family at risk, or vice versa.

Back