RV towing needs Class A CDL for GCVW > 26,001 lbs and/or trailer > 10,001 lbs

wwillson

Staff member
My state exempts any RVs from anything other than a normal operators license - no CDL requirement.

However, I found that many states require CDLs for non-commercial (private use) vehicles, including RVs, that have a GVWR or GCWR > 26,001 lbs and/or a trailer weight > 10,001 lbs.

I have to get a class A license. Study time. Anyone else get a class A, B, or C for an RV?

Not for RV but my dad has a Class A because he is a truck driver. From what I understand it covers every commercial vehicle as he drove my grandmas RV from Virginia where we live all the way to Oklahoma.

I think you are good to go in "any" RV. The trailer being over 10k in a few states requires a Non Commercial Class A. Much easier to obtain then a regular Class A. And I think that is only if you are in combination with an RV being over the 26k.

My state exempts any RVs from anything other than a normal operators license - no CDL requirement.

However, I found that many states require CDLs for non-commercial (private use) vehicles, including RVs, that have a GVWR or GCWR > 26,001 lbs and/or a trailer weight > 10,001 lbs.

I have to get a class A license. Study time. Anyone else get a class A, B, or C for an RV?

If you are licensed in a state that does not require a CDL for your vehicle then you are good to drive it in any other state with your regular drivers license. Where it gets sticky is when you are driving a vehicle that is registered in a state that requires it to be registered as a commercial vehicle.

If you need to get licensed I recommend to practice these written tests:

I have a Class A with air brakes and combination endorsements. I'll be adding doubles and triples and possibly Hazmat soon. I got my Intrastate Permit on my 18th birthday and took the test soon after.

Surprised that you need a CDL A to pull an RV trailer but with the weight you're pulling you would need to have the skillset of a commercial truck driver (pretrips, dealing with grades, backing and driving maneuvers, etc.)

Its an interesting grey area - the intersection of individual state RV laws and interstate travel.

Back in 2012, there was an accident involving a teen from Minnesota driving an RV with18 occupants in Kansas that resulted in 5 fatalities. The RV in this case was a Freightliner truck with an RV type body added to it, and towing a three axle trailer with off road toys (dirt bikes, etc...). Under Minnesota law, it was: A. Legal for the vehicle to be registered as an RV B. Legal for it to tow the three axle trailer and C. Legal for a Class D license holder to be driving the whole thing, even at age 17. The whole rig was pushing 70,000 lbs (57k "RV" and 13k Trailer) and was all "legal" per Minnesota laws.

That raised the question of was it legal in Kansas - and there isn't an answer. Since it was a family, and in deference to the fact that 5 were killed in the family with the teen driving, no charges were ever filed. It was documented by the NTSB, but no recommendations made.

I guess the way I look at it like the previous poster - if you are pushing 26k and towing greater than 10k, I'd get the license and training in an effort to gain the correct skill set. But that's me...

I'm thinking most states will honor the laws of your home state on driver's licenses. If you do decide to get a Class A license, you can usually do so without the air brake endorsement. Adding endorsements later isn't hard and usually only a few dollars to add....except for HAZMAT since you have to pay for fingerprints and a background check.

I have a Class A with HAZMAT, tanker, and doubles/triples with no restrictions. Every endorsement is like having an extra academic degree.

I'm thinking most states will honor the laws of your home state on driver's licenses. If you do decide to get a Class A license, you can usually do so without the air brake endorsement. Adding endorsements later isn't hard and usually only a few dollars to add....except for HAZMAT since you have to pay for fingerprints and a background check.

I have a Class A with HAZMAT, tanker, and doubles/triples with no restrictions. Every endorsement is like having an extra academic degree.
States must honor it.

I don't have one specifically for an RV, however, here's what I did and I highly recommend: About 10 years ago, the local community college put on a CDL class and that's how I got my CDL license. In my case, it was a two week class that they put on at night. It was also taught by a former DMV employee, so she was very experienced as the questions that would be on the test. For example, my state consistently puts the question on the test "What is a wig-wag?", and sure enough, it appeared on mine. The local college also supplied the semi tractor and trailer (in my case, it was a 40-foot) that students would use to practice and to do the road test with the examiner. The on-the-road test with the examiner took a good 90 minutes and I was easily prepared to pass it. The examiner would set up traffic cones in a large, deserted parking lot and make you parallel park and giving only two attempts to do so. Not too easy with a 40-foot trailer and under pressure. They would also ask questions like how high the previous overpass was listed at, and then ask you how high your rig is rated, stuff like that. The entire class only costs me $400, well worth it. If the examiner wants to fail somebody just walking in and asking to take the test, and they feel the driver is not qualified, they will find the situation to fail the driver. They have that power.
Getting back on your subject, I do remember the examiner talking about elderly couples buying the big RV, weighing well over 26K lbs. and not getting a CDL license. She didn't have an exact answer on how the rules vary from state to state, but she was worried about it as the population ages. Are you a farmer? If so, I assumed you already had a CDL.
Sorry to get a little long-winded.

Ca will not honor other states license laws. Guys on the rv forums are often posting about being hassled.

Ca requires a class A if the RV trailer weighs over 15k gvw. I have seen it enforced @ the sand dunes.
Looks like they lowered it tp 10 k!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210310-060657.jpg
    Screenshot_20210310-060657.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20210310-060703.jpg
    Screenshot_20210310-060703.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 8
Are you a farmer? If so, I assumed you already had a CDL.
I grew up on a farm and at 14 was pulling dual Brent 650s and scaled at 140,000lbs there isn't even a requirement for a drivers license to operate farm equipment on the road. I also hauled grain in our semi, which scaled at 80,000 at 16, with a simple drivers license, because there is no CDL requirement for a "farm plated" grain truck.

I talked to a state trooper in Texas this morning and asked the question, "Illinois only requires class D drivers license to operate any recreational vehicle. I will be pulling my 5th wheel in Texas and Texas requires a class A drivers license for my weight and configuration. Does Texas honor IL requirements or will I need a class A to operate in Texas".

The answers was immediately and unequivocally, "Texas honors Illinois licensing requirements in your case because you are resident of Illinois not a resident of Texas, therefore you do not need a class A license".

I believe all states follow this principle.

I have a Class A license with several endorsements, as I owned class 5-8 trucks in a previous business. I was never a truck driver per se, but felt it was a good idea to be able to drive my vehicles if necessary.

I kept the license as it has come in handy a few times being able to drive the transporters in my racing hobby. I also have a large 5th wheel toy hauler that I tow with a dually pickup. So far no one has asked about my license while towing that. Including at dunes in California.

Back