Rusty gas? Fuel filter questions (pics) GPZ900

Status
Not open for further replies.
cd2933a2.jpg

40dc8098.jpg

4e3f6bec.jpg

So it might be hard to see from the pics but has poured into a container will settle into a slightly red bottom with normal gas looking top. Now I understad the fuel screen is ok but is rust in gas small enough to get through the fuel tap screen?

Also, I tried installing an inline fuel filter when i was obtaining a sample of gas to look at. Not sure if it's because of the fuel tap and vacuum but no gas pours with an added inline fuel filter. The second I pull off the fuel line with inline fuel filter, gas will pour until I twist the tap to on.

So I am just wondering two things. How rusty is my gas and why won't gas flow with an inline filter?

Thanks!

I think that will mess up your bike, especially the carbs. If ya have rust in your tank ya may want to remove the tank, de rust it, and line it with a tank liner.

There are various kits available on several motorcycle parts sites.

Last edited:
Rust in your gas is the RESULT....WATER in your gas is the PROBLEM!

Condensation from storage? Rain or wash water getting into your tank? You need to fix someting or that rust will keep your filters/carbs plugged until the tank bottom falls out.

Originally Posted By: ammolab

Condensation from storage? Rain or wash water getting into your tank? You need to fix someting or that rust will keep your filters/carbs plugged until the tank bottom falls out.

Well when I did the por15 treatment I did ruin the gas cap. It took about 2 months for me to get another one so for two months the tank was not as shut tight. Sound like the problem?

I was thinking of doing an electrolysis cleaning on it.

Originally Posted By: cutchemist42
Originally Posted By: ammolab

Well when I did the por15 treatment I did ruin the gas cap. It took about 2 months for me to get another one so for two months the tank was not as shut tight. Sound like the problem?

I was thinking of doing an electrolysis cleaning on it.

That really does work. Did it on an old Suzuki GS gas tank and on a snowblower tank that was rusty as heck. I just use a small 1 amp cheapo manual charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back