Rusted out motorcraft fuel filter- pinhole leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed a motorcraft filter on a 95 Continental. After a season in the salt it sprung a tiny corrosion leak. Replaced with purolator(likely the same part from what I observed).

Ever hear of this?

I have seen some rusted filters but no in a year or one that leaked.
On the new one you can try wrapping it with Nashua tape, wrap it a few inches up the fuel lines nice and tight. End of corrosion problem.

This tape is great stuff, it seals all sorts of stuff and hold up for years under the worst elements. Just make sure the surface is dry and wrap it tight, use a utility knife to remove.
I use it on hoses where they might make contact, on wire bundles to seal them from the elements or attach them to another bundle, cover missing body plug holes. The uses are endless.

I found it at Home Depot but not all stores carry it.

http://www.amazon.com/Nashua-Weatherproofing-Adhesive-Flashing-527-20/dp/B00HT8BKSW/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

^ So is that stuff like ice & water shield crossed with the really good 3M electrical tape?

If rust is that much of a problem in your area, buy a new one and paint it really good, and wax it before installing it. Exactly where on the car is this filter located?

I've had one leak on my 91 Marquis (same location on the car). The replacement filter was zinc-plated. The leaky filter I took off was not. Both were the same manufacturer. It seems that the manufacturer got wind of the problem and improved their product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back