Rust on rims covered under warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 Hyundai Elantra I bought my youngest daughter a few months ago from a private owner. Car is still under bumper to bumper warranty. Do you think Hyundai will replace these steel rims because of surface rust.

IMG_20191228_100921761_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191228_100908632_HDR.jpg

what the heck did they do to that poor wheel? That is not normal.

Doubtful that they will cover it.. but who knows what a dealer will do?

quick fix would be to wire brush it and use some rust etching primer then some black spraypaint..

be 95% good with minimal effort.

Originally Posted by Rand
quick fix would be to wire brush it and use some rust etching primer then some black spraypaint..

be 95% good with minimal effort.

What Rand said but with VHT caliper paint and a follow up layer of VHT clear coat for durability's sake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4

What Rand said but with VHT caliper paint and a follow up layer of VHT clear coat for durability's sake.

or that.. I have only ever painted winter steelies which dont get hot.

Steel wheels rust. Period.

Most car makers have a disclaimer in the owners manual stating exactly that. I highly doubt that Hyundai will do anything for you.

Nope, cosmetic. But I bet you can get a set of alloy wheels from a junk yard or CL for that car dirt cheap. There isn't much market used cast 15-17" alloys.

Looks ugly but it's cosmetic. I doubt they will cover it under warranty but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I have the same year Elantra with the same rims. No rust yet. I now have something to look forward to. Does not hurt to ask about replacement.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Here up north, things rust. Any warranty for rust is considered only if perforation is present.

Well, I can clearly see a dozen holes.

They might have replaced them in the first year. Operative word, might, now I doubt it, but I'd give it a shot, all they can say is no.

I don't think there is any harm in bringing the issue to the dealer's attention - and maybe, just maybe, some relief will be offered. Hopefully, the word will filter up and future wheels will be rust proofed better.

You have to wonder how soon corrosion wiil affect the bead seat.

Every car I've owned needed the bead seat corrosion remediated at around the 15 year mark. This car will likely need it sooner.

It's interesting that the rust really seems to happen just at the wheel cover openings. Can you think of any cause-effect for that?

I would try to get some pictures of similar aged cars without the rust, then show that to the dealer. An excellent dealer might do a good will remedy.

This sure seems to apply in your case: "Corrosion other than perforation. Cosmetic or surface corrosion due to defects in material or factory workmanship is covered under Paint Coverage for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first."

Let us know how it turns out.

The pattern may be related to UV damage from direct sunlight. This also suggests the car sat in one spot for a long time.

Cosmetic warranty may be limited to Class A finish panels.

i'd double check that warranty. non certified usually drop the 100k to 60 and might lose the bumper to bumper but i'm not totally sure. i did have the clear coat redone on my honda wheels but for steely's i doubt they would cover this

That's a shame on such a new car. Sure looks like a bad run on how those steelies were painted

The factory steelies on our 2015 Nissan Versa look new compared to those.

Like said above, It can't hurt to try a Hyundai dealer service department given the age/mileage of the car. Just play cool with them. Say you get it that they're just steel wheels, but we're talking on a 2017 and you fear bead rust, or maybe you've been having to top up the air from time to time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back