Rust on Chrome Rims?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My B2200 truck has developed some rust along the groove of the chrome bullet rims. What would be the best cleaner to remove as much as possible and then polish/protect? Mind you these rims are 15 yrs. old and are now just showing some rust( Not dark rust, still light orange in color).

I live in NC and I just visited a company yesterday that makes a terrific polish. The company is Busch Enterprises in Statesville, NC. The owner is Ted Busch and he is a hoot!!

Google Busch Shine Products and buy his aluminum polish. He has a protector as well. It is a small company owned by 1 guy and he makes a great product!!! You can buy them on his website and they will ship it to you. It is the best product I have ever seen, plus I like knowing that the Little Guy can compete with the big boys.

You won't be disappointed.

Chrome polish. They are good till the rust expands under the plating. Its possible metallic paricles from the brakes caused the rust.

Originally Posted By: oilcoholic
My B2200 truck has developed some rust along the groove of the chrome bullet rims. What would be the best cleaner to remove as much as possible and then polish/protect? Mind you these rims are 15 yrs. old and are now just showing some rust( Not dark rust, still light orange in color).

Do they still make Naval Jelly, I remember guys who had Cragar SS Rims use this stuff.

I'm in the same boat and I'm not sure what to do. Check out my wheels...

DSCF0309.jpg

After I do get them cleaned up, I plan on putting a coat of wax on them to hopefully prevent it from happening again so soon. To the original poster, you might want to try that as well.

Yeah, its been a looong winter.

Clean the wheel, then use 0000 steel wool with WD-40 to polish the light rust off (works good on guns too), clean again to remove left over steel particles and the WD-40, then apply something to protect the chrome such as NuFinish, etc.

Not sure what I would use to clean up the wheels, (Maybe TW Chrome polish) but for the final polish I would use Eagle 1 Nanopolish, which is pretty amazing stuff and it contains anti-corrosion agents.

I'm off tomorrow so I'm going to try and clean my chrome rims. I'm using the penetrating oil and 0000 steel wool method. If I can figure out how to put a picture on here I will, before and after. I've also got some TW Chrome polish I'll try.

I'm crazy, but back in the day with my '67 F-100, it had Cragar Super Spokes and they had quite a bit of rusting. I went outside on a cool day with a warm bucket of water and some SOS pads. Looked like new when I was done. Cheap, effective, and fun, with the exception of the blue tint on my fingers afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back