Rust in Northern states

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just completed a 2500 miles trip. It took us through MO, IL, IN, MI, Ontario stopping at Niagara Falls and back through NY, PA, OH, IN, IL. It was my first time North except MA a couple times but didn't drive much. Now I understand the need for Krown etc up there!! More so in Canada it seemed but rarely seen anything older than 2000's and if you did chunks of the body was missing! Even seen fairly new cars with some and all the license plates in Canada were rusted. Won't complain about rust here anymore.. could be worse!

Overall it was interesting experience above the border. Didn't have time to stop at a Canadian tire but have another trip planned.

You should have towed a Festiva up and sold it. You wouldn't have noticed the weight on your bumper, and some hipster Millenial would appreciate the novelty.
crackmeup2.gif

A few years a noted consumer magazine stated that aftermarket rustproofing was obsolete since modern cars do not rust. Nuts to that!

My parents experience was rust proofing caused problems and rot because body drain holes that were a bit hidden got plugged with gunk.

Personally you I think rust proofing helps you save your vehicle from rusting for a decade vs doing nothing and it lasting for 10 years
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: sciphi
A few years a noted consumer magazine stated that aftermarket rustproofing was obsolete since modern cars do not rust. Nuts to that!

I read that too, what a crock of B_S.

Even dumb stuff like fuel tanks and lines could be made of vinyl or steel, presumably for the same price. They still choose steel, half the time.

That's a lot of driving. Hope you enjoyed your trip and glad you made it back safely. Chances are, you drove right through my little town of Jackson on I-94 in Michigan. I drive through KC every time I drive to Wichita, KS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Even dumb stuff like fuel tanks and lines could be made of vinyl or steel, presumably for the same price. They still choose steel, half the time.
The lowest price wins out.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

The manufacturers have a few auto writers and magazines in their lapel pocket,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjcride
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

The manufacturers have a few auto writers and magazines in their lapel pocket,

For sure.

I usually drive my cars into the ground and rust plays a big part of that. As the car ages and rust starts to take over I can't be interested in washing the car or changing the oil very often. What is the point if the car's is going to the scrap yard soon? I have thrown away several rusty cars with perfectly good powertrains.

Ask Jeep about its plastic gas tank in Grand Cherokee. Reinforces the term "crash and burn".

Originally Posted By: madRiver
My parents experience was rust proofing caused problems and rot because body drain holes that were a bit hidden got plugged with gunk.

Personally you I think rust proofing helps you save your vehicle from rusting for a decade vs doing nothing and it lasting for 10 years
smile.gif

The creepin waxes, tar under oats and similar stuff will do that. Product that stays fluid and self migrates may require more touching up, but also gets into tight places better and doesn't gum up drains.

You should have towed a Festiva up and sold it. You wouldn't have noticed the weight on your bumper, and some hipster Millenial would appreciate the novelty.
crackmeup2.gif

Bet they would of! Probably haven't seen one in ten years.. long rusted away!

Originally Posted By: Eosyn
That's a lot of driving. Hope you enjoyed your trip and glad you made it back safely. Chances are, you drove right through my little town of Jackson on I-94 in Michigan. I drive through KC every time I drive to Wichita, KS.

Actually took 12 from Elkhart IN(rv museum) to Detroit so didn't go up that far. It was a good trip just glad I ride a bike mostly around here tired of driving! The RV liked it up North for some reason averaged 10.05mpg the entire trip. Indiana by far has the worst roads on the entire trip.

Try looking at the engine bay on even a 6 y/o northern car. It's depressing. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

They should go take a look at used Mazdas pretty much anywhere north of I80 in the USA. Might make them eat their own words. One of the most rust prone newer cars out there.

Krown requires a leap of faith to believe that it is effective on the areas exposed to wash (rain). I had my second annual application this past summer and it seems to disappear relatively quick on the underbody. I read that it works by leaving a microscopic layer attached to the surface. Last autumn I rubbed a few areas underneath and a film did come off on my finger, but intuition wants us to see a thick layer. Time will tell.

We now have 2 Krown locations in SE Michigan if anyone is interested.

To the OP, the real beauty of the north is where you get off the beaten path. Michigan's UP has dozen's of waterfalls. https://www.google.com/search?q=michigan+waterfalls&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Originally Posted By: Donald

Ask Jeep about its plastic gas tank in Grand Cherokee. Reinforces the term "crash and burn".

The Jeep debacle has nothing to do with the tank being made of plastic. It has everything to do with its location right behind the bumper. Almost every car nowadays has a plastic gas tank, and you don't hear about all of them rupturing and catching fire. And the tank being made of metal wouldn't fix the issue; it would still rupture. The Ford Pinto had a metal gas tank, and we all know how well that worked out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back