Russian turquoise control panels. Any reason ?

I have seen many videos of Russian military aviation equipment and invariably the control panels are a bright, God awful, turquoise blue colour.
Is there any reason for this ?

Back when Borders bookstore was around, they had a great selection of books on world aircraft, and I’d go in there and get a large coffee and read.

I remember reading in Janes or one of the other books that it was like @vavavroom said - Russian shrinks studied the subject and their research showed that that turquoise color connoted serenity and relaxation.

DC-9 too.
Yep and some of the early DC-9-80 aircraft as well.

As noted it was probably some study much like the one Douglas did on voices for the early CAWS. Bitchin' Betty always cut through the noise. Each manufacturer had their own voice artist prior to synthesized voices, but here is an example from some Douglas models:

It is my understanding that tests showed fighter pilots (at the time in the mid-80s, all were male) would pay attention to a somewhat young female voice above all others. Makes sense, young (relatively) males are interested in young females. But what the tests didn't realize is that after listening to that voice for a while, the males learned to tune it out. Cynics among us would compare that to the courtship period where every word is important, then the period that follows where a husband learns to tune out his wife's voice.
I can't count the number of times I've heard a pilot automatically punch off the voice warning while exclaiming "shaddup!" Methinks the tests should have been run over a longer period.

But what the tests didn't realize is that after listening to that voice for a while, the males learned to tune it out. Cynics among us would compare that to the courtship period where every word is important, then the period that follows where a husband learns to tune out his wife's voice.
Even with my hearing aids on high volume ,,still I can't hear the wife.

Back