Russian SU-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, that is really , really sweet. I wonder if I can grab one off of ebay.
grin.gif

It must have thrust vectoring on the sides of the plane. Simply amazing. If the Russians had this during the cold war or Vietnam war, we'd have our hands full.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
It must have thrust vectoring on the sides of the plane. Simply amazing. If the Russians had this during the cold war or Vietnam war, we'd have our hands full.

We would have always had our hands full during the Cold War with top of the line Soviet aircraft. They typically didn't give the good stuff out to their allies. Mig 25 Foxbat was awesome in the Vietnam era. Never used against us. Only Soviets used it. They won without air support anyway.

Russia designs some good aircraft and I'm glad we are on a friendlier basis now. I'm sure Mig is ready with a competing product?

quote:

Originally posted by Scott P:
Ok, that is really , really sweet. I wonder if I can grab one off of ebay.
grin.gif

Yes and for an extra $100 it comes with a Russian woman looking for an American Husband
smile.gif

Neat aircraft. The canard wing must aid the tight loops. Does it have thrust vectoring? If so, that would really explain it's abilities. The U.S. has better aircraft in technology and multi-engagement abilities, but I'm not so sure how they would fare in an old style dog-fight using cannon fire with this aircraft.

The SU-30 in its variants are even more impressive.

When paired against older block US F-15's at COPE-2003 Gwalior AFS, India they were formidable.

Among other things the Indian Su30 MKI has been upgraded with Israeli and other Western Avionics.

If things go hot with Pakistan or China (china-unlikely) the Su 30 will surely ground the Pak F16's.

No doubt in my limited defence analysis.

It would also make a neat Maritime RECE platform...the IL76 Midas now gives the Indian AF In-flight refueling ability.

Look both of them up-

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
If things go hot with Pakistan or China (china-unlikely) the Su 30 will surely ground the Pak F16's.

No doubt in my limited defence analysis.

It would also make a neat Maritime RECE platform...the IL76 Midas now gives the Indian AF In-flight refueling ability.

Look both of them up-

I'm confused here.

The Pakis are thought to be harbouring AlQaeda, but have F-16s.

India have Russian planes, with western avionics.

and the west aren't that sure of the Russian plane's capabilities ?

This whole scenario strikes me as bizarre

The whole US arms to Pakistan, Soviet/Russian arms to India is rather interesting. I think it has to do with India not wanting to succumb to US pressure to buy US aircraft and help US companies gain inroads to India during the Cold War. Pakistan has French, Chinese, and US aircraft in their air force. The indians have mostly Russian and some French and British aircraft.

The avionics upgrades are common in many countires. New airframes and esigns are expensive. These avionics upgrades really up the leathlity of these older platforms like F-4 Phantoms and MiG-21s.

forgive me if I'm wrong, but to put in avionics, wouldn't they be fully aware of what the machine could do ?

I'm from a power station background admittedly, but if we put in a new control system, it must be in full knowledge of what the hardware can achieve

As far as I know most former soviet block aircraft are not fly-by-wire. To upgrade them and install top of the line avionics, you would need to almost make a whole new aircraft.
I'll take the f-16, f-15, f-14, f/a-18, and f-22 over this aircraft. Avionics and technology wins over old style dog fighting any day.

It's not like we haven't sold planes to anyone and regretted it. Iran has a lot of F14s but they are unusable.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
The Pakis are thought to be harbouring AlQaeda, but have F-16s.

They're not really "harboring" Al Qaeda, Al Qaeda is just hiding there. Bin Laden is thought to be living in an area of the country that even the Pakistani military is not allowed to go. A show on the Discovery channel described it. The people in that area are quite militant, and don't like the government. If the govt. leaves them alone, they leave the govt. alone. They wouldn't let us in there to capture Bin Laden because they were trying to avoid revolt there.

That's the way I understand it anyway...

Andrew:

"As far as I know most former soviet block aircraft are not fly-by-wire. To upgrade them and install top of the line avionics, you would need to almost make a whole new aircraft.
I'll take the f-16, f-15, f-14, f/a-18, and f-22 over this aircraft. Avionics and technology wins over old style dog fighting any day."

I share your confidence in American airframes, but I stop short of carte blanch approval.

There is other hot stuff out there.

You can not even put an F16 on the same comparison to this...F15, yes they are both heavy.

F14 older generation, essentially intercept, and newly modified to limited ground attack/support.

F18 no complaints, id pair it with the new French Rafael M for comparison.

Confirmed Su 30 MKI is Fly-By-Wire (FBW), also
is thrust vectoring, 32 degrees horizontal, 15 lateral, and canard equipped,

Avionics suite, terrain following radar, phased array type. Cockpit Controls, HUD, LCD are combination of French, German and Indian-Israeli ventures.

This is definately not some Soviet Era garbage. In my opinion definately a contemporary air superiority fighter.

May not be as good as an F22, no joke there but compared to a block A paki F16...hahahah no competition.

This is not a dog fighter beyond visual range capability is the name of the game.

If closer in combat ever did happen the Israeli Python 4 missiles suite is superior than any AIM9 Sidewinder you could pull.

Other than that in reality BVR shoot down capability will down him shortly after take off.

Shannon,

Need not be scared, many US weapon systems are shared with the Israeli's who in turn with an American wink share it with others.

What scared me was when the Israeli's almost sold the Phalcon AWACS system to the Chinese...but eventually quit to US pressure.

Ironically the Indians got it.

Flame Suit on but the Phalcon is much more up to date over an E3 Sentry....although do not know if I can compare it to a JSTARS or E3 Doomsday command platform.

I think the big picture geopolitical reality is that India and China are rising players.

If we do not work with them someone else will like the opportunistic EU people.

If we can not beat them join them
wink.gif

Notice the size of heavy fighters (F15, Su30) versus the petite European Mirage2000
wink.gif

-

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back