Russian hackers..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems legit..I should totally click on it! Not...
lol.gif

[Linked Image]

Most likely a scam to download malware on your device.

Yes click on it! lol

They will send that to thousands of people... a few hundred will be dumb enough to click on it.

Where I used to work, they would send out Phishing attempts. Use URLs like AMAZAN with misspelled info. The guy who was responsible for sending them out, said one employee kept clicking the link dozens of times. They probably wanted to see if they would get turfed or they were really stupid.

The message says there was an "attempt" to log-in (and it was supposedly "blocked"), but also says a user "just signed in". There's a difference between attempt and actually signing in. If the account was actually blocked, then I'd think it would have to be reset by Google for the real user to then log-in to.

But yeah, if you're worried then go change your password just in case.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Most likely a scam to download malware on your device.

I have two step login enabled on all my Google services so any attempt to log into my account would have generated a pop up on my mobile asking me to verify/confirm the login. Without confirmation you can not login to my account. This is how I know definitively it's a phishing attempt. There's more than likely malicious code embedded in the email "link" that installs a keylogger or Trojan of some kind. Next thing you know some goon in Moscow is capturing all your passwords to the websites you visit as well as any stored CC, personal identifying information you have on your mobile/web browser etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by incognito_2u
No, that's a legit Google warning.
Change your Password immediately!,,Nice and Strong........
Just saying!

It looks like a poorly done fake copy of a real Google warning. Everyone should have 2 factor authentication turned on for every account that offers it.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by incognito_2u
No, that's a legit Google warning.
Change your Password immediately!,,Nice and Strong........
Just saying!

It looks like a poorly done fake copy of a real Google warning. Everyone should have 2 factor authentication turned on for every account that offers it.

++

Preferably with an authenticator app like Microsoft Authenticator or Google Smart Lock which will use the security processor within your phone's SoC(or the Secure Enclave in an iPhone 7 or higher), as it's easy to intercept SMS or fake them. Google sells the Titan security key which will work for 2FA within Google's suite of apps and many more than support FIDO. It uses Google's Titan M security processor, the same chip used on the Pixel phones. The Yubico keys are similar but FIDO compliant.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Next thing you know some goon in Moscow is capturing all your passwords to the websites you visit as well as any stored CC, personal identifying information you have on your mobile/web browser etc.

Naw, probably Iranian or North Korean. And they have fun by trying to put the blame on Russia. But it could really be anybody.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Next thing you know some goon in Moscow is capturing all your passwords to the websites you visit as well as any stored CC, personal identifying information you have on your mobile/web browser etc.

Naw, probably Iranian or North Korean. And they have fun by trying to put the blame on Russia. But it could really be anybody.

It came from a .ru domain so I'd say Russia is a good bet...but who knows for certain, I'm certainly not gonna risk finding out.

Originally Posted by dishdude

Yeppers..I have it enabled on my FB and Twitter accounts as well. When I hear people mention that they've been "hacked", I'm like how? You have 2step you can enable..why didn't you? I even have my phone SIM encrypted..you got 30 attempts before it locks FOREVER, in theory at least w/256bit encryption!...Truth is, a lot of people fall for phishing scam's not wanting to admit that they were stupid.

Last edited:
Never click on an unexpected message.
If you are in doubt, it can not be more simple then to simply go to www.google.com and log in to see what is going on if anything and then, if you REALLY want, change your password.
Most of all, if you read the message, it says login "blocked" ... so there is the answer "blocked" no concern but I think. you can bet if you clicked on it, you would have had some real problems! *L*

Last edited:
No normal hacker uses their own IP. So a Russian hackers would likely have a US IP.

This is trying to take advantage of the antiRussian hysteria

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
No normal hacker uses their own IP. So a Russian hackers would likely have a US IP.

If they were smart, they would use AWS or Azure and base it in a US division.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B

Could be … guess where I read this from. Hackers are a worldwide problem.

Im clueless as to why anyone would believe a suspect message about a hack that mentions the country of origin *L*
(think about it)
If its suspect message, then the information in it would be too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back