Russian Buran...a few minutes video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As was stated in the movie " The Right Stuff " , rockets do not run on rocket fuel , they run on funding .

The Ruskies had some pretty sharp scientists & engineers . Plus their own group of captured Germans .

Best of luck to you all , :)

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
As was stated in the movie " The Right Stuff ", rockets do not run on rocket fuel, they run on funding.
Great movie (and book). If I recall correctly:

"You know what makes the rockets go up?"

"Why the physics alone would take me ..."

"Dollars make the rockets go up! No bucks, no Buck Rogers!"

Both US and SU had their atomic and space programmes seeded by Germans. Technological breakthroughs delivered by German science and technology in short number of years of the period are simply amazing: from Fischer-Tropsch process to jet aircraft to rockets. The latest wonders of ICE are still good, old BMW-Messerschmitt tech innovations circa 1943. Over 500 German Scientists were captured and moved to US without State Department approval (as most were NSDAP members), they were deployed in Huntsville, Alabama working on guided ICBM programme, this in turn led to foundation of NASA. The United States Bureau of Mines employed seven German synthetic fuel scientists in a Fischer-Tropsch chemical plant in Louisiana, Missouri in 1946.

Helmut Groetrupp was the key figure in Soviet rocket efforts. Around 6 to 7,000 German engineers and scientists were captured by Soviets.

A curious fact: a Russian General was a key contributor to American petroleum industry.

Cross pollination in multidisciplinary endeavors is a given it seems.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Both US and SU had their atomic and space programmes seeded by Germans.

You would have loved a thread about 12-13 years ago, which was talking about German technology in WWII...one of the posters put on a patriotic "well look at the space programme, what would a German space programme look like?"

What I found interesting about the video was the lack of security over the Shuttle designs and science...ordering papers out of a catalogue is a lot less effort than I thought went into it.

The couple of unmanned flights that it made with landings are impressive.

Has me wondering about the X-37B, and what it's up to...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Y_K said:
What I found interesting about the video was the lack of security over the Shuttle designs and science...ordering papers out of a catalogue is a lot less effort than I thought went into it.

I understand the location is outside of current Russia's territory, in Kazakhstan? Correct me, if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back