Running XG3593A (Accord) oil filter in Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I drive a lot less now due to public transportation, I hadn't change my oil for awhile but reccolkdct that Honda starts using same size filter across its vehicles. So I ordered 2 top tier XH3593A filters and did oil and filter change for my Accord and Fit. Upon removing the Fit's old filter, I noticed it was much shorter and smaller than what I was installing. But the new and larger filter fit the Fit so I went ahead and completed the work.

It has been 2 weeks and 300 miles and no leaks detected and no degradation in performance registered on the cheek dyno. What do you guys think? Is this a good way to supersize it. OCI is now annually at 5k miles with M1 Extended Performance in specified grade.

Might be a PH6607 size filter was on there originally. Lots of oil change places use that filter in place of the PH7317 or PH3593A sizes so that they only have to stock one filter for all applications (all are 20x1.5 thread, same gasket diameter, bypass specs, etc.). If you can fit the 3593A, that's certainly the way to go. FWIW, the PH7317 is a bit longer, but not as wide, with similar volume to the PH3593A.

Originally Posted by M1Accord
As I drive a lot less now due to public transportation, I hadn't change my oil for awhile but reccolkdct that Honda starts using same size filter across its vehicles. So I ordered 2 top tier XH3593A filters and did oil and filter change for my Accord and Fit. Upon removing the Fit's old filter, I noticed it was much shorter and smaller than what I was installing. But the new and larger filter fit the Fit so I went ahead and completed the work.

It has been 2 weeks and 300 miles and no leaks detected and no degradation in performance registered on the cheek dyno. What do you guys think? Is this a good way to supersize it. OCI is now annually at 5k miles with M1 Extended Performance in specified grade.

The 3593A was the classic Honda oil filter over many years. The Gen 5 and six Accords we've had used these and they might have fit the Gen 7. No way with the Gen 8 although the base gasket diameter is the same.
Don't know about the Gen 10 since I have yet to change its oil.
In short no worries, you're fine.

I think 3593 was the size that all Honda used at one point to keep things simpler during manufacturing. I was surprise when I pulled out the 7317 and even more surprised that it was a regular tough guard as I recall buying several for 10 bucks 2-3 years ago when BITOG crew rave about it. Previous filter had always been M1 104.

I am thinking about going all out to 6607, which cost the same but a lot longer and the same width. It may not fit the Fit but definitely the Accord but I need to see if the angle would protrude too much and run a risk of hit speed bumps or road debrises.

I am thinking about going all out to 6607, which cost the same but a lot longer and the same width. It may not fit the Fit but definitely the Accord but I need to see if the angle would protrude too much and run a risk of hit speed bumps or road debrises.

I think you have your numbers mixed up. The 6607 is the thimble-size tiny filter that can fit in the same spot as the 7317, but is quite a bit smaller. The 7317 is taller than a 3593A, but skinnier. The 3593A is wider than 7317. but a bit shorter. Both the 7317 and 3593A have similar internal volume, it comes down to which one fits the available space better. There are few options for going bigger-- the PH3985 is one, but it's quite massive in comparison and won't fit in many vehicles that the 7317 is spec'd for.

It has been 2 weeks and 300 miles and no leaks detected and no degradation in performance registered on the cheek dyno.

The only reason is would leak is if it wasn't installed tight enough. The threads are the same and the gasket ID and OD are so close that they're effectively interchangeable.

A (barely) different filter will not affect performance.

The PH3593A sized filters won't fit on a Fit(or any newer Honda where the oil filter is surrounded by the oil pan). The PH7317 is the best you can get size-wise.

I standardized on the 3593A sized filters across all the Honda's I'm in charge of changing the oil on a long time ago. Never had an issue.

Fram xx3593a, 7317, 6607 and 9688 are the same aside from can size.

9688 and 3593a are basically identical in every way aside from price. Not sure why the 9688 is more..

Media area wise, the 3593a/ 9688 and the 7317 are very close with the latter being a tad longer with a smaller diameter.

Last edited:
The PH3593A sized filters won't fit on a Fit(or any newer Honda where the oil filter is surrounded by the oil pan). The PH7317 is the best you can get size-wise.
This. Eight Gen Accord starts diameter mounting area restriction, preventing use of the wider diameter 3593a/9688, 14459, 5/1334 application size.

As noted, not much gained overall using it in place of 7317 size. Over the shorty 6607 size yeah, but with the 7317 available a moot point. That said, some quick lubes and indies do use the shorty 6607 for the 3593a/9688 application size.

Currently have a 3593 Tough Guard on my 2012 fit, its been on there for 10K miles. Reason- it was on clearance at tractor supply for $2

If memory serves that filter was used on Subarus as well as Hondas 10 or so yrs ago.

While the 7317 has a smaller can i think it has more media but its been awhile since i seen those posts.

I would personally just stick with the 7317 or 1356 wix/napa its proven in motorcycles and powersports as well..its a very well made filter.

Don't know about Subaru but Honda change over to the 7317 size started 2001 with Civic. Accord 2003. That said, 3593a applications still usable on Accord, Civic till ~2008.

Looks like starting 2015 Fit shows diameter restriction preventing 3593a use.

As for Wix/Napa Gold Honda vehicle application, correct one now 5/7356. 1356 no longer spec'd for Honda cars.

t
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Fram xx3593a, 7317, 6607 and 9688 are the same aside from can size.

9688 and 3593a are basically identical in every way aside from price. Not sure why the 9688 is more..

Media area wise, the 3593a/ 9688 and the 7317 are very close with the latter being a tad longer with a smaller diameter.

Thanks a lot for your inputs. I don't know whether it really impacts a media area, but 3593 is 0.3" longer. As for higher price of 9688, the main difference in spec is by-pass setting: 9-15 PSI with 9688 against 12PSI with 3593, and this invites the assumption a higher cost is due to a progressive by-pass valve (if PSI range understands namely this). It would be great if our gurus give some comments why for some filters it is specifies an exact value, but for others manufacturers specify a range.

I remember river_rat tests of HAMP filters (among others) where he showed that higher size is not always translated into a higher media area. Do we know approximate media areas of XG3593a, 7317, 6607 and 9688 or at least whether we could rate them by an area size ?

You do realize that EVERY bypass spring is progressive? It's not 10... closed... 11 closed... 12 wide open! Maybe Motorking can weigh in for you... but I am 99.9999% sure you're overthinking this.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
You do realize that EVERY bypass spring is progressive? It's not 10... closed... 11 closed... 12 wide open! Maybe Motorking can weigh in for you... but I am 99.9999% sure you're overthinking this.

I think you left about 10 9's to the right of the decimal.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

May be,
smile.gif
but this first came to the mind. As for progressivity, this seems quite obvious, but it's all relative though, isn't it ? If one by-pass spring is set, say, at 13-15 PSI, but another one at 9-15 PSI, then comparatively to the latter the functioning of the former looks sonner like either closed, or open. Anyway, my question was related to manufacturer specs: why for some filters it's specified an exact value, but for others - a range. Certain inconsistency always evokes questions.

BTW, from your point of view would a filter with 14-18 PSI by-pass spring give some benefits over that with 13-15 PSI if both have identical media, but media of the former is 25-30% larger in area ? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
From observation of cut opens, there is variation in bypass valve flow capacity. A smaller bypass valve would open more rapidly over a narrower range than a larger bypass. A large bypass may crack open at the low pressure end and it would be enough to maintain flow. Then there is this clicker bypass shown sometimes which may be a click on click off type according to the name. The common Frams seem to all have the same bypass size.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
9688 and 3593a are basically identical in every way aside from price. Not sure why the 9688 is more.

Came across Motorking's post from 2017 where he says about oil pressure spiking issues with Hyunday/Kia and increased burst strength with 9688 . He mentioned PH9688, but this should be relevant to TG and XG too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Primus
f one by-pass spring is set, say, at 13-15 PSI, but another one at 9-15 PSI, then comparatively to the latter the functioning of the former looks sonner like either closed, or open. Anyway, my question was related to manufacturer specs: why for some filters it's specified an exact value, but for others - a range. Certain inconsistency always evokes questions.

Bypass specs that show a range like 9-15 PSI are most likely saying it starts to open at 9 PSI and is fully open at 15 PSI. If the spec shows just one number like 12 PSI, then is likely that is the PSI the valve starts to open. The PSI value that the valve is fully open isn't really useful info.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
From observation of cut opens, there is variation in bypass valve flow capacity. A smaller bypass valve would open more rapidly over a narrower range than a larger bypass. A large bypass may crack open at the low pressure end and it would be enough to maintain flow.

How far/quickly the valve opens as a function of PSI is all dependent on the valve's spring constant, regardless of how small or large the valve is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back