Running Rotella T4 CK-4 in Generac GP8000E?

The unit has around 90 hours on it. Oil was changed w/i specified intervals with SAE 30 oil. Unit is used in warmer temps anywhere from 40F-90F maybe 100F.
Unit supposed to have valves inspected/adjusted @ 50 hours, and I'm just getting to that now @ 90 hours. Gonna learn on the generator and apply that knowledge to the m/c--so I figure this will be good practice. Feeler gauges arrived, and good to go. My question is: The unit specifies to use SAE 30 oil. OR 5w-30 synthetic. I don't have the best oil in there (STP SAE 30) (but it was changed at prop intervals, unlike the valve check), but I was thinking about switching to Rotella 15w-40 and putting that in . Would that be good/bad? I also have some Chevron 5w30 synthetic blend/conventional (API:SP) that I could use as well. Would that be good/bad? Or should I really just stick to straight 30-weight oil? Thank you.

generacoilweight.jpg

It never gets below 30-35F here during winter (and more than likely won't be used @ those temps, or at least it hasn't yet), doesn't snow. But generator usually used during spring to fall (Mar-Nov). Usually temps around 40-50F (night) (maybe 60s+ nights during a hot summer) and 75-85+ (Spring into Summer Days) with occasional 90-100+F weather. Generator might be used in spurts ranging anywhere from 3-5 hours upwards to 2-3 days all day and night only for shutdowns for refueling or oil changes.

Last edited:
I'd use the 15w-40 no problems, I don't think I'd run a conventional/syn-blend 5w-30 pcmo in a small engine, with the fact that it's already pretty thin because it's resource conserving PCMO and with all the heat and fuel dilution I'd expect it to shear pretty quickly and horribly, I'd say 5W-30 HDEO (which I'm pretty sure are always synthetic if you can find it,) 10W-30 HDEO, HD30, 5W-40 HDEO, or 15W-40HDEO would all be fine choices with the warmer ambients you're in, I'd say the HD30 or 15w-40 is the way to go, I'd probably use the 15w-40 personally but I can't really back that up with any scientific justification I just like using Xw40 HDEO in OPE.

Right now if you want a good deal on a good 15w40, Walmart has full synthetic Delvac 15w-40 for 17.48 and there's a $9 rebate available you can get the rebate on up to 4 jugs.

I'd use the 15w-40 no problems, I don't think I'd run a conventional/syn-blend 5w-30 pcmo in a small engine, with the fact that it's already pretty thin because it's resource conserving PCMO and with all the heat and fuel dilution I'd expect it to shear pretty quickly and horribly, I'd say 5W-30 HDEO (which I'm pretty sure are always synthetic if you can find it,) 10W-30 HDEO, HD30, 5W-40 HDEO, or 15W-40HDEO would all be fine choices with the warmer ambients you're in, I'd say the HD30 or 15w-40 is the way to go, I'd probably use the 15w-40 personally but I can't really back that up with any scientific justification I just like using Xw40 HDEO in OPE.
Right now if you want a good deal on a good 15w40, Walmart has full synthetic Delvac 15w-40 for 17.48 and there's a $9 rebate available you can get the rebate on up to 4 jugs.

Awesome. Thank you! Yeah I usually have T4 Rotella 15w-40 laying around now that I own a m/c. So, if that is a good oil to use, great. I can usually get it for around $12-13 bucks, but the Delvac for $8-9 sounds stellar. Thank you for the info!.

*edit: That sucks. The Chevron rebates only apply if you did not buy from certain stores. Walmart is listed as not included. :( .

Last edited:
Awesome. Thank you! Yeah I usually have T4 Rotella 15w-40 laying around now that I own a m/c. So, if that is a good oil to use, great. I can usually get it for around $12-13 bucks, but the Delvac for $8-9 sounds stellar. Thank you for the info!.

*edit: That sucks. The Chevron rebates only apply if you did not buy from certain stores. Walmart is listed as not included. :( .
The last Chevron rebate on Delo I looked at, about the only place approved was Amazon.com, but Exxon-Mobil's rebate on the Delvac is applicable at just about everywhere except Amazon.com.

The unit has around 90 hours on it. Oil was changed w/i specified intervals with SAE 30 oil. Unit is used in warmer temps anywhere from 40F-90F maybe 100F.
Unit supposed to have valves inspected/adjusted @ 50 hours, and I'm just getting to that now @ 90 hours. Gonna learn on the generator and apply that knowledge to the m/c--so I figure this will be good practice. Feeler gauges arrived, and good to go. My question is: The unit specifies to use SAE 30 oil. OR 5w-30 synthetic. I don't have the best oil in there (STP SAE 30) (but it was changed at prop intervals, unlike the valve check), but I was thinking about switching to Rotella 15w-40 and putting that in . Would that be good/bad? I also have some Chevron 5w30 synthetic blend/conventional (API:SP) that I could use as well. Would that be good/bad? Or should I really just stick to straight 30-weight oil? Thank you.

View attachment 52472
I run Synthetic 0-40 in mine. Easy starts on the battery and 40W protection on long runs.

Back