Running M1 0w40, should I go D1 5w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, I was just remarking that there was no more 0w40 left since it went into my mom's volvo.

The saturn burns some oil when it's cold. I would like a heavier cold weight but a 40wt when at opporating temp. I was gonna mix the D1 with the D1300S for the saturn. I suppose D1 would just be the way to go.

--Matt

[ March 04, 2003, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: mkosem ]

Matt, normally the only disadvantage is that your oil may not have as much life in it. But D1300S is a Heavy Duty oil, & is designed to handle more abuse than a gasoline oil. I'd think it would go 6k miles in your engine on its own, without any M1 added. So, really, I guess I don't see any disadvantages to running this combination in your particular application.

Patman, I agree that there should be finer divisions between viscosity grades. Since, as you pointed out, we're the Anal Minority grouped together on BITOG, we can do whatever we want here & know what it means. In addition to SAE vis grades, we can incorporate mid-level SBF (Society of Bob Followers) vis grades which overlap the established divisions. This would give a better feel for where an oil starts out in life. I still feel we should be looking at thinning & thickening in some context other than vis grade "groupings". Since the grades aren't linear divisions, if we want to keep referring to SAE/SBF viscosities, then we really need a formula for converting cSt to SAE/SBF.

pat.gif

OK, now your Volvo post makes sense to me! Yeah, I wouldn't mix if you're going full Delvac. You might want to pull a sample after 5k miles (no change, just sample) & see what analysis says for longevity. Based on the results, you might decide to change it at 6k, or it might surprise you & go quite a bit longer. That would be great if you found something you were comfortable leaving in for 10k miles or more!

I'm a little puzzled about the burning oil when cold part. Since the cold vis of just about any oil is thicker than 0W-40 at 100C, if its burning it may be a valve seal or ring problem. Changing oil is probably not going to help; maybe an A-Rx treatment would do more good.
Mike

no one has any info that would warrant using Amsoil 10w40 over Delvac1?

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back