Running B99-B100 in Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are many variables, however, what is the typically gel point and CFPP of commercially made B99? What is a good additive to run in winter with B99? I've been using Stanadyne Lubricity Formula when I have to run regular diesel (on a road trip, etc.) and I have some left over Performance Formula. The Performance Formula claims to lower the gel point 40*F from whatever it was untreated. How effective are fuel additives for regular diesel on B99? Thanks for the help.

unDummy, thanks for the link. I've seen that page, however I'd have to import Wintron. The PowerService Artic express is really meant for B20 and they say it is not really all that affective on higher blends. I’ve sent an email to Stanadyne but have not received a response. I might try and buy some of the Lubrizol. I’m not sure if they sell to individuals though. I’ll probably just have to blend in some dino diesel. When I’m at home I’d like to continue to run B100, but I probably won’t be able to do that all winter.

I've been running low sulfur #1 B20 in my Kubota and home heating oil furnace for the winter seasons for the last two years. My home heating oil tank is outside and because of this the oil company that delivers it doesn't recommend more than 20% bio for the coldest months in S. Michigan. During January/February the mix #1 and anti gel with the 20% bio. They also said Power Service works well but should be used at 2x the amount on the bottle directions for bio fuels that aren't winterized. I've experimented with 60% biofuel/diesel in my oil furnace late winter/spring this year. I had to change the nozzle size up one size to get it to burn right. The viscosity seems to change so much that on the cold days the furnace was loud and pulsating, where as on the warmer days it burned right. The reason for loud and pulsating is the nozzle wasn't able to atomize the fuel small enough for a clean burn. I'll drop back to B20 this fall, at 20% bio it seems to burn the same regardless of temperature. I've been running B60 in my Kubota for the summer but never ran it during the winter with it and don't plan to.

My point is I wouldn't run B99 in the cold winter months, you might find that your fuel injectors aren't able to atomize it properly and the engine may run rough. Or worst case it just won't run.

Well, I think I will probably run the commercial B99 I've been using all winter after all. I've done a couple of almost reliable tests and in my climate I think I can get away with it. I'm going to start a new thread for the test I'm doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back