Running 50 wt in a 30 wt engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read and reread these posts , all are valid facts , one post that is the best that I have read ,it's busters!

Hopefully, this is not a Pepsi-Coke taste test!?There must be some meaningful validity to some-thing here!?But then again, maybe not!!!
Ron
rolleyes.gif

[ May 10, 2003, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Ron ]

An engine will "last" fine with 5-30....but that's not the entire point. I know I don't want to be changing the oil every 1k mi., nor do I want to keep adding 1 qt. ev. thou, nor do I think you need to keep doing auto-rx every oil change either.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
An engine will "last" fine with 5-30....but that's not the entire point. I know I don't want to be changing the oil every 1k mi., nor do I want to keep adding 1 qt. ev. thou, nor do I think you need to keep doing auto-rx every oil change either.

That's being a bit overdramatic don't you think? There are lots of people on here running synthetic 5w30 and have no problems with the things you mentioned. My wife's Honda has run nothing but 5w30 and doesn't burn oil at all, and is super clean from what I can see through the fill hole (and the UOAs suggest it's very clean inside too) I also know a lot of LT1 f-body owners who run nothing but 5w30 too and many of them are well over 100,000 miles right now, of hard racing too and they haven't had any issues.

On my next UOA after the current one, I'm going to prove that 5w30 can show excellent numbers.

Overdramatic? Well...my brother also uses M-1 5-30 in his `92 Honda Civic. But he has 290,000 km. He tells me his consumption is going up of recent...it's currently at 1L/1000km.. He changes it at 5k km.

So again, I think you can have excellent UOA's...just like the one on M-1 5-30 showing the oil's still "properly lubricating" at 10k mi...but, I don't think it shows the whole picture.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Overdramatic? Well...my brother also uses M-1 5-30 in his `92 Honda Civic. But he has 290,000 km. He tells me his consumption is going up of recent...it's currently at 1L/1000km.. He changes it at 5k km.

My next door neighbor has a 90 or 91 3.1L Sunbird with 380,000km on it and I was shocked when he told me he's been using nothing but Syntec 5w30! AFAIK his consumption isn't that much at all between changes.

So 5w30 can definitely go the distance in most engines.

[ May 12, 2003, 05:15 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

My dad ran my Shadow on conventional/dino/natural 10W-40 oil for ~150,000 miles. At that point it started knocking like a diesel.

Then, I switched to Mobil 1 15W-50 in my Dodge Shadow. It seemed to do the job, except it kept leaking out.

So then I switched to Delvac 1 5W-40 and the leaking stopped. (Yeah I know...doesn't make sense, but that's what happened.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back