run time on generator oil

now that i've had my power restored and i'm no longer under tunnel vision and stressed out to the max i will defitnately look into running my generator oil out to 100hr oci.

i sat down with a clear head and realized that i was being too panicky and that i could relax and approach the next outtage with a better plan and waste less oil. i just read that T4 15w-40 has a 10 TBN and that gave me more peace of mind. i went into the storm w the 50hr oci in mind and let my ocd take over. i guess i was locked into that mentality after a few neighbors lost there generators due to lack of maintenace.

thanks for the 100hr run, advice in the prior post, fellas, you know who you are.

if I'm not mistaken just about any 15w-40 will start at a tbn of 10. But the volvo vds 4.5 test requires 360 engine running hours without crossing oxidative thickening and wear limits so 100hrs isnt an issue. But i still wouldn't go 360 engine running hours in my trucks with them. Around 250 is the most i go. 100 hours even for a cheap 15w-40 shouldn't be an issue. The issue is that the oil isn't being filtered and contaminants lead to increase wear as the contaminants act as scuffing agents. But even then the amount of use required to wear out a small ohv engine is beyond what anyone will realistically put it through unless it's used like every day in a jobsite.

I have a Kubota V2203 engine with almost 14,000 hrs driving the genny in my Prevost bus. I run 15w-40 convention HDEO oils and go 200+ hrs between oil and filter changes.

Kubota generator engine UOA 10-21:
Kubota UOA BS 10-21.JPG

I have a Kubota V2203 engine with almost 14,000 hrs driving the genny in my Prevost bus. I run 15w-40 convention HDEO oils and go 200+ hrs between oil and filter changes.

The little Kubotas are in a class of their own. I had several Kubta/ onan 8K's in grooming vans out to 15K that also ran 200 on wal mart 0W-40.
now that i've had my power restored and i'm no longer under tunnel vision and stressed out to the max i will defitnately look into running my generator oil out to 100hr oci.

i sat down with a clear head and realized that i was being too panicky and that i could relax and approach the next outtage with a better plan and waste less oil. i just read that T4 15w-40 has a 10 TBN and that gave me more peace of mind. i went into the storm w the 50hr oci in mind and let my ocd take over. i guess i was locked into that mentality after a few neighbors lost there generators due to lack of maintenace.

thanks for the 100hr run, advice in the prior post, fellas, you know who you are.

I've run Honda 2K's sumps up to 10 days straight off extended run tanks and 0W-40 when dry camping in the desert between Christmas and new year.

I did run a gold plug magnetic plug and got gooey bands of crud at oil change time - but never a problem.

They ran at partial load most of the time though vs wide open and we managed this by running our trailers and rigs off our inverters and 3 of us got 5 Amp 12V chargers at the end of a triple extension.

You have to pay attention to valve adjustment intervals on these as changing a burnt valve is a &$#*%##. They move a bunch at first then slow down at the second or third adjustment.

Last edited:

What does the manual say to run the oil to?

I'm on generator power now. Just lost power. I have amsoil hdd 5W30 in it. HF 4375 model. Will probably change it to 5w40 at the 25 hr mark. Not sure i should go longer as it only holds 20oz or so.

I'm on generator power now. Just lost power. I have amsoil hdd 5W30 in it. HF 4375 model. Will probably change it to 5w40 at the 25 hr mark. Not sure i should go longer as it only holds 20oz or so.
did you go with 5W-40 at the 25hr mark?

Back