Run Flats not available for my '07 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '07 Accord has the stock 16" alloys. Tire size is 205/60-16. I'm interested in getting run flats as this is my wife's daily driver and I don't want her changing a tire on the side of the highway. I know the drawbacks but what to consider my options.

I checked tire rack and there doesn't seem to be any options in run flats that I could find. I would be willing to adjust the tire size slightly or going up to a 17" rim.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get run flats on my car?

Thanks

A AAA membership? That's far cheaper than a new set of wheels and run-flat tires. Plus then somebody can toss the spare on for her, or tow her to the nearest tire place.

If you're going up to 17" wheel, then there are some run-flat tires in size 205/55-17, about 1% larger in diameter than 205/60-16, they are Continental ContiProContact SSR and Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season RFT

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you're going up to 17" wheel, then there are some run-flat tires in size 205/55-17, about 1% larger in diameter than 205/60-16, they are Continental ContiProContact SSR and Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season RFT

Thanks for the suggestion. Just looked at the Pirellis. In the H rated tire they have a decent UTQC. Same as the Continentals at 500 which is decent. That and a cost of $172-176 is acceptable. I haven't read the reviews yet.

Like the Pirellis myself...seen them on a nieghbor's car...they seen to be wearing quite well for a run flat...

You just need to stop worrying about things that will likely never happen, just get a good set of 16 inch tires forget the run flats and get AAA if you are concerned..

And what does the link have to do with buying run flats or not? Are you suddenly worried that some sort of freak accident will happen to your wife? it won't, and that article is extremely sad, but I believe when its your time, it is your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Huhwhye
Originally Posted By: sciphi
A AAA membership? That's far cheaper than a new set of wheels and run-flat tires. Plus then somebody can toss the spare on for her, or tow her to the nearest tire place.

Thanks for your opinion but I've considered the pros and cons and don't wish to debate the merits of run flats.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/27/local/la-me-freeway-fatal-20110827

If there's anything to learn from that, it's to have your wife drive an obnoxiously large SUV so she's the one killing people and your family is nice and safe. And most SUV's come with full sized spares!

That is a very sad article though
frown.gif

I personally don't like run-flat tires for several reasons, but OP already decided he wants it on his wife car and I respect his decision. I don't even have compact spare in the Honda S2000, I installed the sub-woofer in its space.

First, the rims used with runflat tires are special. They have an enhanced safety hump to reduce the possibility of the bead becoming unseated when the tire is running un-inflated. Without this enhanced safety hump, the bead is likely to become unseated and the runflat feature of the tire becomes useless - it behaves like a regular tire does when unseated and ruins the rim. This is crucial to the operation of runflat tires and should be considered part of the system.

Second, it is difficult to sense that a runflat tire has been deflated, so a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is a must.

I think you are in for a lot of cost and effort that is not going to have the affect you intend - but I wish you luck on your quest.

Just tell her to drive on the flat tire until she feels safe to either pull over or visit a reputable tire store. The worst that could happen is that she will destroy that tire completely and/or the rim. I bet in the unlikely event this were to happen, it would be still cheaper than the option that you are considering.

Plus if you replace the tires at half of their treadwear rating, you would most likely will not get a flat on the road.

- Vikas

My 06 Accord does not have any TPMS, for what that's worth.

I'd agree, get roadside assistance and understand that it might be better to destroy a tire and/or a rim then to change it in a bad spot.

New rims + runflats + aftermarket tpms = 2500?

how would runflats have even helped in that accident...

oh and runflats usually ride obnoxiously and have worse treadwear.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I personally don't like run-flat tires for several reasons, but OP already decided he wants it on his wife car and I respect his decision. I don't even have compact spare in the Honda S2000, I installed the sub-woofer in its space.

No spare in my car, and DEFINITELY no run-flats!

I've had one tire go down in 6 years and five sets of rubber. It went down slowly, and I was able to park safely due to tpms warning.

To each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back