Rules of the road - come add your annoyances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just spent 8 hours in the car for a mini family vacation. Saw a lot of things that just irk me. There are simply TOO many folks out there that just ignore or dont know the rules of the road.

Lets keep this respectable and not get locked. If you are one of the ID 10 T folks that breaks one or more of these rules of the road, how about learning something new, and being considerate of other drivers.

I will add the first one. Feel free to add more.

1) The left lane is a PASSING lane. It is not where you drive. It is for passing the car in front of you, and then you move over to the right lane as soon as it is safe to do so. The only exception is when traffic is very heavy and both/all traffic lanes are used. But once traffic thins out, the left lane again is transferred into a passing lane only.

I followed a car for more than 90 miles (yes you read that right) that flat out refused to get out of the left lane. Yes I was able to pass and get around this person, but we were doing the same speed for the most part, so we were in the same vicinity for over 90 miles until I turned off. Not once did this person get out of the left lane. Had their cruise control set at 73 in a 70 mph zone, without a care in the world. Didn't care that 15-20 cars would get backed up behind them. Didn't care that they were impeding traffic. Didn't care that they were not following one of the very simple rules of the road.

Feel free to add yours.

Oh, one more.

2) The merge lane on freeways. Most/all modern cars have enough power to accelerate up to freeway speeds in the merge lane. If the highway you are merging with has a speed limit of 70 mph, then you need to be going 70 miles per hour at the time of merge. Its the skinny pedal on the right - use it, it works. I see people merging at 45 mph which causes all kinds of havoc behind them and even leads to crashes.

On the merge point-- I know drivers who seem to think it is harmful to the car to step on the gas and this probably contributes to a lot of what you saw.

My only gripe right now is distracted driving. I have to constantly be watching my rear view mirror to check if the cars behind me have people texting and driving.

1A) yes, you already mention if and when safe to pass.
but if other I...Ts just tailgate at less the 1 car length like crazy while downhill, while i'm trying to pass a LONG chain of semis one-uping each other at 1 mph over governed speed...
sorry i will not do 80mph (i'm already over posted speed anyway) on a curvy road, but i will get out of your way when i don't have a semi 5 feet behind me.
p.s. i'm not a slowpoke, and i have the speeding ticket to prove it

2) why is use of signal lights optional?
2AA) which is Left and which is Right? some signal one and do the other....

P.S. Florida driving.... I feel you... i need to load my car with pillows and start trowing it at them.... at least they will sleep comfortably

Car in front of me, sitting at a traffic light after it has turned green because they are on their cell phone.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Oh, one more.

2) The merge lane on freeways. Most/all modern cars have enough power to accelerate up to freeway speeds in the merge lane. If the highway you are merging with has a speed limit of 70 mph, then you need to be going 70 miles per hour at the time of merge. Its the skinny pedal on the right - use it, it works. I see people merging at 45 mph which causes all kinds of havoc behind them and even leads to crashes.

small correction:
slowpokes on these parts make it at 35mph

can you say "i've been passed like the wind by a loaded to the gills semi?"

Originally Posted By: wemay
Car in front of me, sitting at a traffic light after it has turned green because they are on their cell phone.

it's called 1,2,3 -HONK!!!

I agree: merge onto the highway at highway speeds. If it's going slower than you want to go: go slower. Is it going faster? Speed up. It's your job to merge.

If your lane ends: no one cares. Put your blinker on and merge in a proper manner. But put your blinker on! It's your end that is ending, and it's thus your job to change lanes properly.

Speaking of blinkers... all cars have them. Use them. Along with your headlights. If it's raining, snowing, foggy or too sunny: turn them on. I don't care if you have automatic headlights--check them periodically if the weather isn't perfect.

It's the law: bicyclists need 3 feet of distance. Some states add a foot for every 10mph above some threshold.

I'll reiterate your number 1 x 1000000000000000000000000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!

I've been doing a lot of highway driving this year, and it just flat out [censored] me off how ignorant and selfish left lane hogs are. I'm sure the majority of them don't think about the law and don't look in the mirror, but my goodness. It's an epidemic.

And I agree about merging. People just creep up the ramp and then floor it.
smirk.gif

My next biggest pet peeve is red light and stoplight runners. It is deadly bad in my area. The stop signs in neighborhood areas should just be takes down because 99% of drivers don't even stop for them. Unfortunately there has been a few bad wrecks in my neighborhood from people blowing through 4 ways stops at higher speeds. IDIOTS

Technology is making people absolutely derelict behind the wheel.

Here in Michigan, the right lanes of nearly all highways have been beaten into broken fragments by well-represented-by-lobbyists truckers driving 200,000 lb trucks that tote heavy-weight auto parts between suppliers and assemblers. I use, without regret or apologies, the left lane whenever the right lane is beating the life out of my suspension components. I'll move over to the right lane if some Type A runs up behind me in a rush to get her nail appointment or to his vitally important golf game; I'm not trying to self-enforce speed limits or energy efficiency standards. I know what the rules of the road are, but I'm not beating up myself or my equipment in slavish obedience to rules that serve to provide a wide-open path for mostly reckless or indifferent morons who want to get someplace 3 minutes ahead of whomever.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I followed a car for more than 90 miles (yes you read that right) that flat out refused to get out of the left lane. Yes I was able to pass and get around this person, but we were doing the same speed for the most part, so we were in the same vicinity for over 90 miles until I turned off. Not once did this person get out of the left lane. Had their cruise control set at 73 in a 70 mph zone, without a care in the world. Didn't care that 15-20 cars would get backed up behind them. Didn't care that they were impeding traffic. Didn't care that they were not following one of the very simple rules of the road.

you know how many times i passed a long line like this in the left line, while I was doing the posted speed in the right lane? (roads where bad...but not even funny)

Some people just think it is their sacred duty to police all traffic lanes....

Originally Posted By: supton
If your lane ends: no one cares. Put your blinker on and merge in a proper manner. But put your blinker on! It's your end that is ending, and it's thus your job to change lanes properly...

...unless they purposely block you from merging, or they just change lanes without considering your merging....

I think I'll add annoyances which aren't the fault of drivers (but maybe someone will disagree with me):

Left lane exits. I guess they are cheaper, but if I want to drive at the limit, I don't feel like having to do 10-20 over in order to get into the fast lane just so I can... exit.

Tolls. Similar problem. I set cruise to the speed limit, yet I have to travel in the high speed lanes so I can avoid stopping in the cash lanes. A mile out I often "have" to get into the middle lane so I can be in the rightmost lane.

Finally, highways that merge but put me in the middle of high speed traffic. Where I can't move right anyhow, as the right lanes spiral off in a short distance.

Here I am, trying to be good, set cruise to the number on the sign, yet at every turn(!) I seem to be in the wrong. Only solution is to make more pollution so as to be kind to other drivers. Defeats the whole purpose of buying a boring car! I might as well go back to fast driving.

Agree with all of these. The one I see most often is failure to use blinkers. Cars just slow down and suddenly turn. So aggravating.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
If your lane ends: no one cares. Put your blinker on and merge in a proper manner. But put your blinker on! It's your end that is ending, and it's thus your job to change lanes properly...

...unless they purposely block you from merging, or they just change lanes without considering your merging....

Sure. But I see most people wait until the lane ends--they want to follow that white line and move over as it moves over. People will magically be out of their way.

On a tangent: Every so often I will watch someone follow that white line. On ramp on the highway? Sure, let's move over... only to move back.
21.gif
Not all of those drivers are distracted either.

I think I'll add annoyances which aren't the fault of drivers (but maybe someone will disagree with me):

Left lane exits. I guess they are cheaper, but if I want to drive at the limit, I don't feel like having to do 10-20 over in order to get into the fast lane just so I can... exit.

Tolls. Similar problem. I set cruise to the speed limit, yet I have to travel in the high speed lanes so I can avoid stopping in the cash lanes. A mile out I often "have" to get into the middle lane so I can be in the rightmost lane.

Finally, highways that merge but put me in the middle of high speed traffic. Where I can't move right anyhow, as the right lanes spiral off in a short distance.

Here I am, trying to be good, set cruise to the number on the sign, yet at every turn(!) I seem to be in the wrong. Only solution is to make more pollution so as to be kind to other drivers. Defeats the whole purpose of buying a boring car! I might as well go back to fast driving.

....have you tried round-and-round ramps that are putting you (25-maybe35MPH, really tight ramp) merging with low visibility into 65+MPH traffic...

Tailgaters that have no interest in passing you ever.
They just want to ride your asp no matter if your going 55mph or 120 mph in a 55mph zone......
And when you pull to the shoulder to get rid of them they won't pass and look at you...... ( face punch)

Originally Posted By: cwing6
...Cars just ... suddenly turn. So aggravating.

This is my local variant:
they just jump in front of you... space behind me and in the lane next to me, but nope, they NEED to jump in front of you.... then they just chugg-along

Most of the issues described so far have to do with a general lack of consideration for other users of the road. A lot of drivers that I encounter only pay attention to what's in front of them (if that), but are completely oblivious to what's behind them and ignore their rear view mirrors.

I often get cut off by other drivers shifting into my lane when I am fast approaching. They either don't look in their rear view mirrors or just don't care, thinking that it's my responsibility to slam my brakes if they suddenly pull into my lane.

Efficient and courteous driving requires common sense and analysis and reaction to situations from all 360 degrees and not just what's right in front of you. But apparently that's too much to ask.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Tailgaters that have no interest in passing you ever.
They just want to ride your asp no matter if your going 55mph or 120 mph in a 55mph zone......
And when you pull to the shoulder to get rid of them they won't pass and look at you...... ( face punch)

small local variation:
ride your tail in the right lane, while... 3 lanes open to the left... I never could understand that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back