Rule of thumb for tightening oil drain plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go snug plus a little push just to keep it from backing out. Mine uses a solid copper washer that I havent changed since buing the car used in 08.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
This'll turn into a 25 page thread; you wait...

For sure
crackmeup2.gif

BTW, if the whole engine isn't turning in its mounts while you're tightening the oil plug, it ain't tight enough.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: asand1
I go snug plus a little push just to keep it from backing out. Mine uses a solid copper washer that I havent changed since buing the car used in 08.

This is about how I do it. Tighten until it's firm snug, then a smack on the handle of the ratchet or the end of the wrench to put another 5 or 10 degrees into it and it's done.

I always use a new drain plug gasket(aluminum) and torque to 33 ft. lbs. If you don't have a torque wrench, at least use a new gasket and tighten it carefully where it is snug using a short ratchet to avoid over tightening. And as stated above, yes this will run for umpteen pages. We are all a little goofy when it comes to oil, filters, drain plug gaskets et. al.. That's why so many of us hang out on this forum. All things in moderation.

I try to replace those copper/alum washers every time, but I go by feel. If the washer is new, I tighten till I feel a sudden drop in torque (washer starting to crush) and that's it. Used washer, just snug by feel.

If it gives you peace of mind, you could buy a cheap Harbor Freight torque wrench and use the torque value the car company lists for the oil drain plug. On sale with coupon it would be around $10. If you do not want to mess with a torque wrench every time you change the oil, just hand tighten and then use the torque wrench. Note how many degrees the wrench handle turns to get the proper torque, and then do that many degrees from now on with a normal rachet.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Copper can be annealed by heating it red hot and dropping it into water, just the opposite of annealing steel.

Dropping it in water is not necessary for annealing. It's just to cool it quicker for handling.

Finger tight and 2 or 3 hefty pats on the wrench is enough for me.

I reuse crush washers. Been using one on a tractor for the last 15 years and it just now needs replaced.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back