Ruger Red Label

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
I purchased this in 2008 and it is unfired. I sent to my engraver and had him copy a Baker Paragon shotgun from yesteryear in all its quaintness. Now cleaning..

20220421_132932(1).jpg
20220421_132907(1).jpg
20220421_132849_HDR.jpg
20220421_132843_HDR.jpg

I generally think engraved firearms are stupid, ugly, and useless. That work you've had done is really impressive.. More importantly, I approve!!
Great choice of engravement, I have no idea of the original engraved firearm, but that is for sure a very high quality pattern and image!

I like my 20 gauges, I'm better at trap with them. If I did fire that gun, it would be when I passed it onto my children, and had them clean it with you. Hopefully they will pass it down throughout the family for generations.

Really good looking gun!

Very nice. Are you thinking it's time to sell?
I have been selling off for many years. I really don't use the guns anymore but certain ones I just can't sell because there is a bunch of history with them so they are much more than a firearm.

But that said I am turning into a minimalist...so yes...

At Easter my sister in-law sort of attacked me for a house I owned for 12 years and never rented or lived in.
I told her it is a shrine to my parents and really not her business. It is well maintained and I keep it because well like the guns. Eccentric yes.

Most of my stuff I have buyers for..
They lie in wait...lol
This isn't worth a whole bunch but I decided I better clean it as it has been wearing on my nerves...that is now done...lol

Did you buy it originally as an investment?
No, I just got into shotguns from an engineering standpoint...
Works of art but I did not see the sport in hunting with them.
Yes, I know but just being honest.
I never looked at guns as an investment with the exception of customizing new ones for sale
to customers.

Last edited:
My favorite shotgun is a Purdey owned by Harry Payne Whitney of the New York 5'th avenue
circle of excess.... more history love than gun love.
He married a girl across the street...... Gertrude Vanderbilt
In today's money he would be worth over $105 Billion (2020 estimates)

Original build sheet for the gun...................
Will take pictures when I get to cleaning it.
build sheet.jpg

My favorite shotgun is a Purdey owned by Harry Payne Whitney of the New York 5'th avenue
circle of excess.... more history love than gun love.
He married a girl across the street...... Gertrude Vanderbilt
In today's money he would be worth over $105 Billion (2020 estimates)

Original build sheet for the gun...................
Will take pictures when I get to cleaning it.
View attachment 97267
My college roommate's half-brother is a Whitney. Definitely in the family who built the museum, so at least a cousin to Harry. He clearly came from money, but was low key and discreet and became a doctor. Even though he may have never needed to, he's still working at close to age 70.

Wow beautiful shotguns. Way way out of my league.

I have my dad's 70's Charles Daly/Miroku O/U 12 gauge skeet gun with engraving and had my grandpa's Winchester Model 42. Starting to sell the family guns, nobody to pass them to.

Wow beautiful shotguns. Way way out of my league.

I have my dad's 70's Charles Daly/Miroku O/U 12 gauge skeet gun with engraving and had my grandpa's Winchester Model 42. Starting to sell the family guns, nobody to pass them to.
Thank you...
Sorry to hear that. I am in the same boat...
You don't know how many old guys used to call me and say I want this built to hand down to my grandchildren...an Heirloom...

I would get quiet because I had seen those heirlooms dumped at a yard sale, pawn shop or flea market
by the grandchildren...No interest or care. I have a gunsmith buddy with 3 adult boys and they have no interest at all.. He is selling them off now to pay for things he and his wife need now...Great idea.

Couple nice shot guns, always wanted a red label when i was younger, but at the time the prices was might as well have been a million...

A few years back i went skeet and trap shooting and it sort of rekindled my want for a over under though at this point in my life it would probably go to waste with all the other firearms i never have time to shoot...

I like the engraving, it grows on me as I get older...

Awesome engraving. I love my 12 gauge Ruger Red label. It's in great shape and it is my go to pheasant hunting gun. I love shotguns and have a few O/U's and other guns. The Red Label has always been my favorite gun to shoot pheasants.

Back