Ruger LCR .38

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 13 ozs. and it plus p rated, but it is punishing shooting
them. I need a recommendation for a low grain non plus p
that is a hollow point. Thanks guys

For a standard pressure load I recommend the Federal 125 grain HP Nyclad load. It's not easy to find but most gun shops can order it for you.

It's a very soft lead hollowpoint coated with nylon at 830 fps.

I've shot some wet phone books with it and was quite impressed with the expansion. If you're ever attacked by a wet phone book, these will serve you well. All kidding aside, they're easy to shoot, accurate, and expand easily. Better to hit with a .38 than to miss with a .357.

If shooting practice, you can't beat some 148grn wadcutters. I recent loaded some 125grn LRN's, lightly loaded, that were lower recoil than even that. As long as point of impact relative to point of aim doesn't move much at 7 yards or so, I'd think you'd be all set to practice with a lower recoil round, and then ending practice with something recoils like your carry round.

But this is why I recommend to people to buy the 357Mag version instead. Those extra 4oz do wonders for the "shoot-ability".

For myself, I'm finding that if I don't shoot my LCR weekly I seem to forget how to shoot it... Lose some sort of muscle-memory or something, just don't shoot it as well. I think these short-barreled snubs require more practice than other handguns. Hence, I'd recommend finding some cheap practice ammo.

Originally Posted By: bobbob
It's 13 ozs. and it plus p rated, but it is punishing shooting
them. I need a recommendation for a low grain non plus p
that is a hollow point. Thanks guys

bobbob,

Your best bet is to buy a hollowpoint that has the lightest grain possible wether it's a plus P or not load. It's way too bad that PMC stopped making there "Tubular" load long ago. Like the other said try the Federal "Nyclad" and see what happens otherwise get whatever the lightest grain bullet you can get.

Durango

I love my LCR. I carry DoubleTap 125grn +P in mine, although these are on the hot side.
This month's Gun-Tests rates the 38 snub loads. The lowest recoil that did great in the test was Hornady Critical Defense 110grn.
Here's what they wrote:

Hornady Critical Defense 110-grain FTX JHP 90310, $17.45/25 (CTD #2-H90310). The Critical Defense bullet is designed to expand even after hitting heavy clothing or thick outer garments. This was the newest design tested, and it gave surprising performance. This was the single most consistent loading as far as expansion, with every bullet landing in exactly the same place in the jugs, time after time. The polymer cap was often pushed into the neck of the water jug, which was interesting. One of our raters made an interesting comment: Why push the bullet 100 fps faster with more recoil and blast, when the FTX will plump up this well at just over 900 fps? A solid choice.Remington UMC 125-grain JHP L38S2, $16.42/50 (CTD #6-0307969). This load has been around long enough to earn a good reputation. Not as hot as some of the others, the bullet expands well and penetration is in the ideal range. While some of the other loads demonstrate more penetration and more velocity, this is a solid choice. We have seen this load available in 100-round bulk packs at Academy Sports, which makes the load very attractive.

I thought the Rem 125grn +P jacketed rounds weren't known for expansion, let alone in a snub?

I'd use any 38 load in hollow point configuartion good or not. When the bad guy is gonna rob or stab you anything is better than none. What comes to mind is Winchesters 110 grain bullet.... low recoil and won't foul up the barrel as much as the Nyclad loads.

Durango

Corbon DPX 110 gr +P, excellent reliable expansion, good ballistics profile, second choice would be Speer Gold Dot 125 gr +P, another very good choice.

Originally Posted By: Durango
low recoil and won't foul up the barrel as much as the Nyclad loads.

Durango

We must not be shooting the same stuff. I've shot quite a few boxes of Nyclads out of my Colt Diamondback as well as my wife firing it out of her Model 66. I've found it to be a very clean round. The nylon doesn't coat the barrel and prevents leading.

I dunno. I've shot a number of hardcast 148grn WC's out of my snub, and not had leading. Same goes for 158grn +P. I don't shoot much commercial stuff, go figure--it costs too dang much!

But how is leading a real problem? I did have a problem once, with some commercial reloads, that or maybe it was when it was brand new or something. Lead deposits either way. I bought a set of plastic dental picks, and used them to scrape out the lead. It's a snubnose, not a 24" rifle. If you angle it right, you can easily see every bit of rifling, if you hold it up to the light, and easily scrape out any lead deposits.

It's easy enough to clean that I think you should be open to trying anything, and then ruling it out afterwards if you do get leading.

I just purchased the Ruger LCR in .357 Mag. Haven't shot it yet, but hear it kicks pretty good with .357 Mag. Nice thing about the LCR-357 is that it's ~4 oz heavier than the 38 version, and if you want to shoot 38 or 38 +P then the slight added weight can help with reducing the recoil.

If I shoot .357 in it, I will be looking for a light bullet weight to help reduce recoil and also get the velocity up some.

Also just ordered the Crimson Trace laser grip ... always wanted a handgun with a laser sight, so decided this is the one to get it.

The best duty load is the Hornady 110gr. FTX. Hornady, as with any other manufacturer, makes a VERY good product. As for practice, I suggest Winchester White Box 130gr. FMJ round nose. I believe that a snubbie requires more consistent practice; not to say that other handguns don't (of course).

Originally Posted By: 2cool
The best duty load is the Hornady 110gr. FTX.

Picking defensive ammo is like picking oil and oil filters ... lots to choose from, and opinions vary on what's best.

If you go watch all the videos on YouTube showing 4-layer denim and gel tests, you might conclude like I did that Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Ranger T are at the top. Hornady Critical Defense is up there too ... but I think the 3 I listed are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back