Ruger 10/22 naysayers..

I respectfully now disagree. Ive recently spent some time with a 10/22 and im having great luck with it.. Mind you ive got a 18 power with 50mm sitting on top and a bi-pod out front, that said ive zeriod and have no problems (minus the odd zinger/shooter error) keeping CCI 40 grain's at or under 2 inches at 100 yards.. Ive read many saying that the 10/22 although reliable its not very accurate. For a short rifle im completely satisfied with this little gem. 2 pennies.

Why would anyone naysay a 10/22? They're one of the best .22LR rifles around. Selling mine was one of the biggest gun mistakes I ever made.

I have a pre-MIM I will die owning. Selling it would be out of the question. One of the great American must-haves.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I have a 10/22 and a Savage MK II FSS and the Savage is definitely more accurate/consistent. That said, the 10/22 with a 25 round banana clip is an absolute blast. I don't use mine for the accuracy, it is the fun factor, and on that front it delivers thumbsup

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I have a pre-MIM I will die owning. Selling it would be out of the question. One of the great American must-haves.
What is pre-MIM? I have two 10/22 guns. One is about 15 years old, The other is about 40 years old. While I have never done a full teardown, I've cleaned the bolt / receiver on many occasion, and haven't noticed any difference between them. I also am very pleased with the accuracy of a 10/22, considering it is technically a carbine.

I love shooting my 10/22. The only mod is trigger. It's accurate with the iron sights and I can shoot it all day for like $25 for ammo. No sore shoulder. I will never sell it

I'd love one and would have one in a heartbeat. 'cept we can't have "assault weapons" here, and a 10-22 is classified as such.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I'd love one and would have one in a heartbeat. 'cept we can't have "assault weapons" here, and a 10-22 is classified as such.
It's only an assault weapon if you're a squirrel. Like mine. I think about getting another at times, just a fun gun. Mine is a short carbine with high viz sites. That reminds me, I oughta buy more mags.

I've had mine since they first came out-I think 1963-4=a very nice little rifle. I think the trigger pull is/was better on the earlier versions than the later.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
What is pre-MIM?
Metal Injection Molding. It's a cheaper way to make parts, and many equate cheaper with poor quality. Your 40 year old gun doesn't have them. Not sure about the 15 year old model. I have a 10/22 from the mid 90s, and I love the gun. I've never met a 10/22 naysayer. What are their gripes about the gun?

Cool little .22LR , lots of aftermarket mods available which allow customizing to your hearts content !! The new anniversary issue 10/22 looks sweet as well !!

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
What is pre-MIM?
Metal Injection Molding. It's a cheaper way to make parts, and many equate cheaper with poor quality. Your 40 year old gun doesn't have them. Not sure about the 15 year old model. I have a 10/22 from the mid 90s, and I love the gun. I've never met a 10/22 naysayer. What are their gripes about the gun?
Most common gripes are accuracy and jamming. I have found that my early 80's made 10-22 does not like Federal bulk ammo. If I keep it clean and shoot a higher quality ammo it's as reliable and accurate as I could expect out of any automatic. I would still pick my Winchester 94-22 over the Ruger any day of the week. A lever action/automatic comparison is kinda apples to oranges though.

^ That's odd. My gun will hit anything the shooter can hit. The only jams I ever had were with an aftermarket banana magazine. I've heard some of the newer guns aren't as nice as the older ones?

OtisBlkR1

Accuracy has been the biggest complaint on some shooting forums, not FIF. some claim the weapon is sub par for what it is in the accuracy department..

just from personal experiences i haven't seen one shoot good for me. over 25 years or so i have shot at least 5 different ones and never liked them compared to a Marlin model 60 or a Remington 597. I don't doubt they are ok just me personally haven't had any luck with them.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
I respectfully now disagree. Ive recently spent some time with a 10/22 and im having great luck with it.. Mind you ive got a 18 power with 50mm sitting on top and a bi-pod out front, that said ive zeriod and have no problems (minus the odd zinger/shooter error) keeping CCI 40 grain's at or under 2 inches at 100 yards.. Ive read many saying that the 10/22 although reliable its not very accurate. For a short rifle im completely satisfied with this little gem. 2 pennies.
I am going to assume you are talking about the regular 10/22 carbine. I had a regular carbine and while is was VERY reliable, it was not the most accurate thing. I ended up selling it to a buddy and I bought a Ruger 10/22 Tactical Target rifle with the hanner forged heavy barrel and target trigger. Now that is a accurate rifle. I can get ~1.5" at 100 yards using match grade ammo. I bought a Marlin Model 60 for $150 at Walmart which is a more accurate rifle than the 10/22 carbine, but mine will only shoot CCI Mini Mags.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I have a 10/22 and a Savage MK II FSS and the Savage is definitely more accurate/consistent. That said, the 10/22 with a 25 round banana clipmagazine is an absolute blast. I don't use mine for the accuracy, it is the fun factor, and on that front it delivers thumbsup
I corrected your post.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
The 10/22 uses the standard 10 round rotary magazine, is that OK in the state you live in?

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I have a 10/22 and a Savage MK II FSS and the Savage is definitely more accurate/consistent. That said, the 10/22 with a 25 round banana clipmagazine is an absolute blast. I don't use mine for the accuracy, it is the fun factor, and on that front it delivers thumbsup
I corrected your post.
Banana clip sounds way better than banana mag though grin http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/banana%20clip
Originally Posted By: Merriam-Webster
banana clip noun Full Definition of BANANA CLIP 1: a clip that is slightly curved and used to hold a person's hair in place 2 slang : a curved magazine or clip for a firearm First Known Use of BANANA CLIP 1951