Rubber trim cracking on Jetta

That looks like user inflicted damage.

I’ve seen natural cracking on my 03 Saab. Some of my antique Mercedes’ cars have dried out. Nothing looks like that.

I think you hit it with an ice scraper or something without knowing it. Or something else that would be reminiscent of a tool.

I've seen "Gummi Pflege" pop up in a few threads. Is it good stuff? I'd like to apply something often as VW's seem to have poor seals when compared to other makes. I'd like to keep them in good shape for as long as possible.
I’ve used it before. Similarly 303, and silicone brake fluid, as wel as shin etsu grease.

Reactions: hrv
That looks like user inflicted damage.

I’ve seen natural cracking on my 03 Saab. Some of my antique Mercedes’ cars have dried out. Nothing looks like that.

I think you hit it with an ice scraper or something without knowing it. Or something else that would be reminiscent of a tool.

I can assure you, it is not. When the door closes over the seal, it pushes back on it with force and holds it in that position. I noticed it first on my MIL's Jetta 2 years ago, hers have gotten progressively worse. Noting that, I regularly apply UV inhibiting spray wax to the affected areas in hopes of preventing this. As shown, that has not worked. I also polled a large following of MKVII Jetta owners and many, many have responded that they experienced the same failure. It isn't user inflected, unless of course you count using the rear doors. I say all of that in good faith, with no ill intent.

I've seen "Gummi Pflege" pop up in a few threads. Is it good stuff? I'd like to apply something often as VW's seem to have poor seals when compared to other makes. I'd like to keep them in good shape for as long as possible.

I like it because it is easy to apply. It comes in a plastic bottle with a foam applicator tip. Both products are excellent.

Anything to take your mind off of 4 dollar gasoline and 6 dollar diesel and World War Z.

The newer Jetta's have a short powertrain warranty but a longer bumper to bumper then typical in the industry.
Maybe a good time to talk to the service manager for a future warranty job. I would hesitate to do it this job early on, though. Good to get a leg up on it.

How are the power windows? My DS PW was going out when I turned in my 2018 lease. I may have slammed the door once in rage though.

Anything to take your mind off of 4 dollar gasoline and 6 dollar diesel and World War Z.

The newer Jetta's have a short powertrain warranty but a longer bumper to bumper then typical in the industry.
Maybe a good time to talk to the service manager for a future warranty job. I would hesitate to do it this job early on, though. Good to get a leg up on it.

How are the power windows? My DS PW was going out when I turned in my 2018 lease. I may have slammed the door once in rage though.
No issues with the windows.

Had a dealer appointment today to get a tire patched, rear tag light replaced and have this window trim cracking documented. I showed the service advisor the cracking and explained that I just wanted it documented in case it got worse. I wasn't really interested in having the whole assembly replaced this early on in ownership, especially since I just paid to have the windows tinted.

Later another service advisor came out to tell me the car was ready. They had patched the tire, the tag light LED apparently decided to work today (literally hasn't worked a single day in the last 5+ months), and they have a new window on order...wait what? I told her I didn't want it replaced, just documented as I just had the windows tinted, and would rather wait to have the new unit installed at the end of the warranty period as to extend the length of time before another failure (they all crack). She looked at me and said, "no sir, you don't have to leave your car here. The part is on order so you can take your car home with you today". She wasn't getting it, so I just said "ok" and left it at that.

Good to know they were quick to warranty the part. At least I have it in writing so down the road, hopefully they won't fuss about it.

So let me get this straight. A tiny little paint blemish and you trade a car in, but cracking window trim is NBD, and you even complain when they want to replace it now?

So let me get this straight. A tiny little paint blemish and you trade a car in, but cracking window trim is NBD, and you even complain when they want to replace it now?
A bubble under the paint that will blister, that required the entire roof to be repainted and blended into quarter panels and a pillars on a brand new car? YES! Cracking rubber trim that can be replaced with an OE part? That can wait until the end of warranty, or if the part starts allowing water intrusion. Completely different.

A bubble under the paint that will blister, that required the entire roof to be repainted and blended into quarter panels and a pillars on a brand new car? YES! Cracking rubber trim that can be replaced with an OE part? That can wait until the end of warranty, or if the part starts allowing water intrusion. Completely different.

Just let them replace it now, it has clearly failed.

Just let them replace it now, it has clearly failed.
This is an extremely common problem on these and will likely get worse over time. At this point the cracks are small so I would rather wait and have the new part installed toward the end of warranty allowing more time before the new part fails. No reason to install now so it can fail again in a year. I just wanted some documentation on file so if I were to bring the car in down the road they don't give me some garbage excuse as so why the rubber trim failed. I've heard "you must be using harsh chemicals to wash your car" as an excuse before. It would be a bit difficult to argue that line on such a new car.

So at this point Volkswagen hasn’t come up with a solution to this? One would think that a change to different seal material or a new supplier would have happened already?

So at this point Volkswagen hasn’t come up with a solution to this? One would think that a change to different seal material or a new supplier would have happened already?
I’d like to think so, but it has at least been present from the first 2019 models through 2021 (what we have).

@gregk24 I noticed this on my Camry, what’s happened to the rubber here in the sun after all these years. This is the back window.

705F8C58-0F07-41B6-881D-2A0D4EDA5B54.jpeg
0BFE40D9-73E5-4FBF-8B40-D91C560DFB88.jpeg

Back