Rubber Parts in Older Cars

It would seem that an older car would become a money pit, almost solely due to deteriorating rubber components. For example, a transmission starts to shift funny due to hardened or cracked o-rings, gaskets, etc. Brake system leaks because of cracked rubber brake lines, coolant and vacuum leaks due to deteriorated hoses, valve cover gaskets leaking, rear main seals, A/C leaks from o-rings, etc. Has anybody encountered this yet?

In my own experience, I have experienced a weeping oil pan and transmission pan, spark plug well seals, valve cover gaskets, and of course, hoses.

Yes I usually condition the rubber with silicone to make it last longer. On the bushings and everything at least, not the gaskets all vehicles except the real old ones have rubber gaskets. I’d much rather spend money on an old car than I would anything new anyway so I don’t see it as a money pit.

It would seem that an older car would become a money pit, almost solely due to deteriorating rubber components. For example, a transmission starts to shift funny due to hardened or cracked o-rings, gaskets, etc. Brake system leaks because of cracked rubber brake lines, coolant and vacuum leaks due to deteriorated hoses, valve cover gaskets leaking, rear main seals, A/C leaks from o-rings, etc. Has anybody encountered this yet?

In my own experience, I have experienced a weeping oil pan and transmission pan, spark plug well seals, valve cover gaskets, and of course, hoses.
For the most part these are minor issues you mention and usually don't happen at the same time. A minor price to be paid in keeping an older car on the road. It beats a car payment on these newer vehicles that all look the same and have no style to them whatsoever. Remember, on a new vehicle you will spend more on sales tax and depreciation than many years of upkeep on an older vehicle.

Yes I usually condition the rubber with silicone to make it last longer. On the bushings and everything at least, not the gaskets all vehicles except the real old ones have rubber gaskets. I’d much rather spend money on an old car than I would anything new anyway so I don’t see it as a money pit.

You use the silicone in a aerosol can?

I used to worry abut this more but not so much now. From experience, as AutoMechanic said, most seal failures do not happen at once and are usually progressive; weeping or other symptoms over time giving ample warning of failure. Rubber seals on components such as master/slave cylinders usually fail from use (or extreme neglect...) on a somewhat regular basis, but again rarely without symptoms.

Some of the components you mentioned should be considered consumables and replaced prior to any apparent issues; brake lines.

The level of concern also depends on the vehicle make/component quality. For example our British vehicles have many more issues then the Porsches which have had no seal, gasket or flexible hose issues, but they are still relatively new.

I am also rather tolerant of minor leaks...goes w/ the territory :D

Another concern is wire harness get very brittle and break. This is harder to fix

Yes, that too, although I haven't run into this yet, luckily. Power steering system was very expensive to fix. Pump was spraying fluid and then the rack started leaking and groaning.

How old of a car? I had a 13 year old CR-V that spent most of its life in salted heavy Buffalo, NY then I moved with it to Texas. I didn’t have any issues with rubber components outside of normal wear parts. The only thing that failed overtime was the brake fluid reservoir and I had to replace all 4 calipers with remans since they seized up with the corrosion. What killed it was some wiring issues due to corrosion and me making a crap-ton of money at the time and not wanting to spend the time fixing something that was still old.

I used to worry abut this more but not so much now. From experience, as AutoMechanic said, most seal failures do not happen at once and are usually progressive; weeping or other symptoms over time giving ample warning of failure. Rubber seals on components such as master/slave cylinders usually fail from use (or extreme neglect...) on a somewhat regular basis, but again rarely without symptoms.

Some of the components you mentioned should be considered consumables and replaced prior to any apparent issues; brake lines.

The level of concern also depends on the vehicle make/component quality. For example our British vehicles have many more issues then the Porsches which have had no seal, gasket or flexible hose issues, but they are still relatively new.

I am also rather tolerant of minor leaks...goes w/ the territory :D

Yes sir, trying to keep the old English cars and bikes oil tight will turn you into a nut cracker suite case if you insist on curing it. You cant for very long, even some Subaru engines leak like a sieve as they age, another split case job like the English bikes. Best to live with it.

I would say 10-15 years old...but I don't know the life of the rubber seals. I guess that most automakers won't use a more durable material (delrin?) because it is too expensive.

It's good to remember that not all "rubber" components are the same materials. O-rings can be viton or buna-n or even various types of silicone. Rubber suspension bushings can be made of various durometers (hardness) and really are not rubber at all, but a synthetic rubber, sometimes neoprene. Buna-n o-rings will last 40 years in many situations. Same goes for neoprene door seals.

The thing is, it's impossible for a consumer to know what choices the manufacturer made. The F150 trucks I drive have exactly zero rubber suspension bushing problems, including the very highly loaded front lower shock/spring bushing. I fully expect they will go 20 years without failure. However, my boss' Mercedes vehicles of the same age, have the rubber bushings rot right out in place. Leaving nothing but a metal to metal situation. Both are "rubber", with very different results.

It seems to be true that European vehicles tend to have rubber and plastic components that "revert". This may be due to EU regulations on recyclable vehicles.

If I were to guess, I'd say that vehicles like the F150 are top tier, competitive products and manufacturers don't want a bad reputation with regard to degradation. Plus they may be required to do real work, hence the "tough enough" componentry. I'd also guess that Japanese vehicles are less prone to rubber component failures. The exception being some Lexus and Toyota products from the late 2000's. That's clearly been fixed.

Here in South Florida, substandard plastics and rubbers fail fast.

The rubber and foam products in my 2003 X-type Jaguar have all turned to goo or powder.

Last edited:
I am convinced it’s the rubber that will ultimately lead to the death of my old 90s Toyota. Engines and transmissions can always be machined and rebuilt, but motor mounts? I don’t have injection machines, so when those go I am sure I will have to bid my old van goodbye.

I never understood why in high stress application some manufacturers still use buna-n, eg Vanos seals, cam mounted PS pumps, etc when a high quality Kalrez, PTFE or Viton seal will last almost forever.

I am convinced it’s the rubber that will ultimately lead to the death of my old 90s Toyota. Engines and transmissions can always be machined and rebuilt, but motor mounts? I don’t have injection machines, so when those go I am sure I will have to bid my old van goodbye.
Does it have the old dog bone style ones? Those are still available.

In my experience with North American or Japanese cars they hold up quite well. I've had to repair only a handful of gaskets or seals over the years with my older cars. Kind of annoying at the time, but usually not that hard or expensive, and as others have said already, usually give plenty of warning.

Back