Rubber auger seals for Sears 21-inch Two-stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed last week that the rubber seals on the auger of my approximately 20 year old Sears two-stroke snow blower were worn. These seals are riveted on and the rivets are NLA. New seal strips are over $31 each from Sears and four are required. In addition, there are two short center seals at around $16 each. Over $150 for six strips of rubber, plus the cost for 30 short SS shoulder bolts to replace the rivets, and the time to drill out all 30 rivets. All on a 20 year old snow blower.

I did a little internet searching and discovered these same strips are about half price from sources other than Sears. A little more searching revealed these are actually Murray parts which are a couple dollars less expensive yet! Apparently Murray built this model of snow blower for themselves, Sears, Snapper, and Simplicity.

I ordered the Murray parts then something caught my eye on the bottom of the web page that had the seals shown on the top of the page. An all new steel auger, WITH NEW SEALS ALREADY INSTALLED, cost a couple dollars less than just the seals alone! No need for 30 short SS shoulder bolts, no need to drill out 30 old rivets, and the auger is stocked by a different parts supplier only 8 miles from my house which means local pick-up and no shipping.

I cancelled the minutes old seal order, then ordered a new auger assembly from the local discount parts supplier to pick-up tomorrow after work. My earlier attempt to buy from this local source was thwarted by a change in part numbers. a simple two letter suffix that naturally wasn't shown in my Sears Owners Manual but was shown by the distant discount parts supplier.

I feel like I just won something.

Thanks for the info. Something similar was when I needed a belt for my Ariens, In January. Local shop said it would have to order, maybe a week. It actually took three weeks, but the day a placed the order, I discovered I could get a Gates replacement from O'Rielly auto parts, in stock. I never thought of looking at an autoparts store for a snowblower belt. The ARiens is awaitng replacement when the Gates wears out.

Very nice. I replaced the rubber auger blades on my very old Sears 21in snowblower two years ago with some I found online for cheap. Drilling wasn't too difficult but took some time. Attached the new rubbers with stainless 1/4-20 nuts and bolts with thread locker. Haven't lost one yet!

I replaced the ~$75 two piece rubber auger assembly on my Ariens 2-stroke single stage unit because it was worn just past it's wear indicator. What a waste of money. Zero improvement on how it removes and throws snow.

Nice job!! I bought a used Honda and it needed new paddles. I went with aftermarket paddles for about $35 instead of the OEM ones for about $80. Supposedly the OEM paddles are thicker and last longer though. A whole new auger with paddles was running over $250!! At least for me, the paddles are bolted on and they unscrewed easily.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Very nice. I replaced the rubber auger blades on my very old Sears 21in snowblower two years ago with some I found online for cheap. Drilling wasn't too difficult but took some time. Attached the new rubbers with stainless 1/4-20 nuts and bolts with thread locker. Haven't lost one yet!

That was my exact plan until I found an entire new auger for less than just the seals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
I replaced the ~$75 two piece rubber auger assembly on my Ariens 2-stroke single stage unit because it was worn just past it's wear indicator. What a waste of money. Zero improvement on how it removes and throws snow.

The rubber seals on my auger are worn to the point the plastic side shields of the snow-blower are dragging on the concrete. Replacing one worn component to prevent having to replace the two side shields also.

Last edited:
I installed the new auger yesterday. Pretty straight-forward even without any instructions. One big surprise was discovering that the non-drive side of the auger does not sit in a bearing, but only in a phenolic plastic block acting as a bushing!

I half filled the recess in this plastic block with ball bearing grease during reassembly. Obviously this should be a seasonal maintenance step for all owners of these small Murray/Sears/Snapper/Simplicity 2-stroke snowblowers.

Oh, and Briggs & Stratton has recently purchased both Murray and Snapper, so the new auger came in a B&S labeled box. Who knew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back